Temperature Calculation for a Distant Star with Thermal Excitation

In summary, The spectrum of a distant star shows that one in 3x106 atoms of a particular element is in its first excited state. Using the equation (N2/N1) = e-(E2-E1)/KbT) and given the difference in energies as 7.3 eV and the ratio of statistical weights as 4, the temperature of the star cannot be calculated due to insufficient information. The term "statistical weight" refers to the relative probability of a particular state and is represented by the ratio of N2 / N1. It is unclear if N2 can be greater than N1, as it depends on the number of excited states compared to ground states. The factor of 3x106
Vitani11

Homework Statement

The spectrum of a distant star shows that one in 3x106 of the atoms of a particular element in its first excited state 7.3 eV above the ground state. What is the temperature of the star? (You can ignore the other excited states and assume the ratio of statistical weights is 4)

Homework Equations

(N2/N1) = e-(E2-E1)/KbT)

The Attempt at a Solution

All variables are given to plug into the equations but it won't work.
Kb is Boltzmann constant. I used the difference in energies as 7.3 eV. I used N2 / N1 as 4. I know how to solve log equations. I don't understand what else needs to be done here though. I've also tried to divide the final answer by 3x106 because I figured that would scale this down to one atom instead of many, but that is not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "statistical weight" mean? Can N2 be greater than N1? What does 3×106 represent?

Statistical weight is the relative probability of a particular feature/state. Statistical weight is the ratio of N2 / N1? I'm honestly not sure whether N2 can be greater then one. If there are less excited states than ground states then I could see why this would be true. Why is this true? I think that N2 / N1 should be the ratio 1/3x106 because this gives the number of excited atoms out of the total amount - but then there is a factor of 4. What am I supposed to do with that?

Related to Temperature Calculation for a Distant Star with Thermal Excitation

1. How is temperature calculated for a distant star?

The temperature of a distant star can be calculated using the thermal excitation method, which involves measuring the intensity of different wavelengths of light emitted by the star and using this information to determine its temperature.

2. What is thermal excitation?

Thermal excitation is a process in which atoms or molecules absorb energy from their environment, causing them to move to higher energy states. In stars, this results in the emission of light at specific wavelengths, which can be used to determine the star's temperature.

3. Can temperature be accurately calculated for all distant stars?

While the thermal excitation method is a reliable way to calculate the temperature of most stars, it may not work for extremely distant or dim stars. In these cases, alternative methods such as the Stefan-Boltzmann law may be used to estimate the temperature.

4. How does the temperature of a distant star affect its appearance?

The temperature of a star plays a crucial role in determining its appearance, as it affects the color and intensity of light emitted by the star. Cooler stars appear redder, while hotter stars appear bluer. The temperature also influences the star's luminosity and size.

5. What are the applications of temperature calculation for distant stars?

The temperature calculation of distant stars is important for understanding the physical properties of stars and their evolution. It also helps in identifying different types of stars and studying their atmospheres. Additionally, accurate temperature measurements are essential for predicting the behavior of stars and their impact on their surroundings.