1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature change in gasses

1. Feb 18, 2014 #1
    Hello,
    I just have a question.
    When a gaz expands against a piston (that is insulated), the system is doing work so W>0 and we know that the volume will increase and the pressure decrease.

But what I want to know, is how about the temperature, I'd say that it will decrease since the pressure also decreases , but is there any other argument ?

I know that if we want to maintain a constant temperature in such a system we have to "connect" the system to a tank , so that the heat transfer will compensate the work done by the system.

Thanks !

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

As you noted, a pressure decrease can occur while the temperature remains constant, so saying decreasing pressure implies decreasing temperature isn't a good argument. Think instead about what happens to the internal energy of the gas if Q=0 and W>0.

4. Feb 19, 2014 #3
    We have that dE=-W
    Ef-Ei = -W <0
    We must have Ef<Ei that means that the kinetic energy in the final state is <
    So the temperature decreases

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  5. Feb 19, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted