Temperature derived from current, then plotted against V?

In summary, the author is contemplating whether or not this discussion is valid given that temperature is not directly measured. They think it is okay because the electrical measurements are fairly accurate. However, they would've preferred using a temperature probe.
evanghellidis
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum, please excuse if misposting.

I have the following situation: pieces of conductive nanostructured material are attached to different substrates and heated resistively. We can only measure voltage and current through the piece of material (and respective contacts). The temperature of the nanostructured layer is derived using the temperature coefficient of resistivity, assuming linearity and that the piece of material behaves as a classical conductor.

The same type of temperature derivation is then used to plot temperature against "on-off" cycles, where several voltage pulses are applied to the material. That is, 2 volts are applied for a few minutes, then a lower voltage for another few minutes. The current variation is used to calculate resistance and then temperature. The plot shows the square voltage pulses in time, overlapped with the corresponding, derived temperature pulses. This is done for each substrate.

The cycling plots are meant to show that the material can heat up repeatedly and consistently, and to discuss differences in its heating speed given by the different substrates. My question: is this is a valid discussion, given that temperature is not measured directly?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understood correctly, you're measuring temperature by measuring the change in resistance, right?

I think its ok to do so. I don't know how accurate the readings will be (probably depends on the setup and the least count of your instruments). But the method seems alright to me.

evanghellidis said:
My question: is this is a valid discussion, given that temperature is not measured directly?

Can you check it by heating a sample to a known temperature and the taking a quick voltage reading across it?

I could use a heating plate, yes. It'll still be imprecise, but at least it gives temperature data points which are experimentally independent of the electrical data points. That's a good idea, thank you!

siddharth23 said:
If I understood correctly, you're measuring temperature by measuring the change in resistance, right?

I think its ok to do so. I don't know how accurate the readings will be (probably depends on the setup and the least count of your instruments). But the method seems alright to me.

Yes, temperature measurement through change in resistance. The electrical measurements are fairly accurate, it just seems to me that there's something wrong about using just one type of experimental data in an experiment which is meant to show the relation between two different physical phenomena (i.e. electrical conduction and heating). More so when you're already making very broad approximations regarding the sample.

This situation has occurred in the lab I work. I would've preferred using a temperature probe but the PI said there's no need. I hope the reviewers will see things the same way.

1. How is temperature derived from current?

Temperature can be derived from current using a formula known as the Seebeck effect. This effect states that when two different metals are connected in a circuit and a temperature gradient is applied, a voltage is produced. By measuring this voltage and using a calibration curve, the temperature can be determined.

2. What is the purpose of plotting temperature against V?

Plotting temperature against V allows us to visualize the relationship between the two variables and identify any patterns or trends. This can help us better understand the behavior of temperature in relation to current and make predictions about future values.

3. How accurate is temperature derived from current?

The accuracy of temperature derived from current depends on various factors such as the type of metals used, the calibration curve, and the precision of measurements. In general, this method can provide accurate results within a certain range but may have limitations at extreme temperatures.

4. Can temperature be derived from any type of current?

No, temperature can only be derived from a specific type of current known as thermoelectric current. This current is produced by the Seebeck effect and is different from other types of current such as electrical or magnetic current.

5. What are the applications of temperature derived from current?

The measurement of temperature derived from current has various applications in industries such as energy, transportation, and manufacturing. It is also used in scientific research for studying thermoelectric materials and investigating temperature-dependent phenomena.