Temperature increase with pressure in an open vessel?

In summary, the question is whether temperature increases linearly with pressure and if there is a formula to monitor this. The scenario involves using a panini press to extract oil from an olive and the concern is avoiding burning the oil or exceeding 250°F. The expert states that in an open vessel, gas laws do not apply and the only possible source of increased temperature would be friction and compression. However, in this scenario, the heat capacity of the pistons is likely too high for a significant temperature change to occur.
doubleddeez
Hello all, new here please excuse if this is in the wrong area of the forum.

My question is does temperature increase in a linear fashion when pressure is added? What formula can be used to accurately monitor temperature increase as pressure is added?

Imagine having a set temperature, let's say 200°F, that is constant and governed by an electronic heat source. So it would be like a panini press, or sandwich press, with two metal surfaces on top and bottom. If you were to place a dried olive in the "open press" and add pressure(anywhere from 100lbs to 2000lbs) so as to "squish" and release its oils, how much of an increase in temperature would there be?

I am trying to avoid burning the olive oil or surpassing 250°F. Does Gay-Lussac law apply here?

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance.

Science news on Phys.org
I am no physicist but I don't see why the temp would increase at all. In an open vessel, gas laws won't apply. The only possible source of increased temperature would be friction and compression (why a screw heats up when drilled into wood), but that won't apply here either (unless you're trying to compress the olive pit).

Thank you Dave for your response. I wasnt totally sure whether the temperature would increase, which is what I am trying to avoid. No the pit will not be in the olive when pressing.

I don't think oil and olives are compressible enough for much heating to take place. The pistons are probably a large thermal mass, so the olive will take the same temperature as the pistons. If you have the pressure vs volume and heat capacity, you can probably calculate it, but again, the heat capacity of the pistons is probably so high that the temperature change is negligible.

Related to Temperature increase with pressure in an open vessel?

1. Does temperature always increase with pressure in an open vessel?

No, temperature does not always increase with pressure in an open vessel. While there is a general trend of temperature increasing with pressure, this relationship is not linear and can be affected by other variables such as the type of gas or the volume of the vessel.

2. How does increasing pressure affect the temperature in an open vessel?

Increasing pressure in an open vessel typically leads to an increase in temperature. This is because when pressure is applied to a gas, its molecules are forced closer together, causing them to collide more frequently and with greater force. This increase in molecular collisions results in an increase in the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules, which translates to a higher temperature.

3. Is there a limit to how much the temperature can increase with pressure in an open vessel?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the temperature can increase with pressure in an open vessel. This is known as the ideal gas law and states that at a certain point, the relationship between temperature and pressure becomes non-linear and the temperature will stop increasing as rapidly with increasing pressure.

4. Can temperature decrease with pressure in an open vessel?

Yes, it is possible for temperature to decrease with pressure in an open vessel. This is known as the Joule-Thomson effect and occurs when a gas undergoes a rapid expansion, causing its temperature to drop. This phenomenon is often observed in refrigeration systems.

5. How does the type of gas affect the temperature increase with pressure in an open vessel?

The type of gas can have a significant impact on the temperature increase with pressure in an open vessel. This is because different gases have different molecular structures and properties, which can affect how they behave under pressure. For example, some gases may experience a larger increase in temperature with pressure compared to others.