Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature increase with pressure in an open vessel?

1. Jul 20, 2015 #1
    Hello all, new here please excuse if this is in the wrong area of the forum.

My question is does temperature increase in a linear fashion when pressure is added? What formula can be used to accurately monitor temperature increase as pressure is added?

Imagine having a set temperature, lets say 200°F, that is constant and governed by an electronic heat source. So it would be like a panini press, or sandwich press, with two metal surfaces on top and bottom. If you were to place a dried olive in the "open press" and add pressure(anywhere from 100lbs to 2000lbs) so as to "squish" and release its oils, how much of an increase in temperature would there be?

I am trying to avoid burning the olive oil or surpassing 250°F. Does Gay-Lussac law apply here?

Thank you in advance for any help or guidance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2015 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I am no physicist but I don't see why the temp would increase at all. In an open vessel, gas laws won't apply. The only possible source of increased temperature would be friction and compression (why a screw heats up when drilled into wood), but that won't apply here either (unless you're trying to compress the olive pit).

4. Jul 20, 2015 #3
    Thank you Dave for your response. I wasnt totally sure whether the temperature would increase, which is what I am trying to avoid. No the pit will not be in the olive when pressing.

5. Jul 21, 2015 #4
    I don't think oil and olives are compressible enough for much heating to take place. The pistons are probably a large thermal mass, so the olive will take the same temperature as the pistons. If you have the pressure vs volume and heat capacity, you can probably calculate it, but again, the heat capacity of the pistons is probably so high that the temperature change is negligible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook