Do I need to supply a 555 IC with 5V for a temperature intensity meter circuit?

In summary: When a digital logic level is low, it can cause the number on the 7-segment display to disappear. This is due to the low voltage being drained from the IC, and is usually not a problem unless the voltage is very low. However, if you are concerned about this, you can tie unused inputs to GND to keep them from floating. Otherwise, you can just leave them unconnected.
electronic engineer
I've attached a circuit schematic for the temperaure intensity meter...
R1 is the PTC
the first 555 works as monostable so it triggers second 555 to produce Astable pulses with given frequency depending on the values(R3 and R3 and C4)

anyway i want to ask if i have to supply my second 555 with 5v supplier or not... cause in my circuit I've connect pin 3 of first 555 directly to pin 4 of the second 555 and didn't supply second 555...i've shorted pin 4 with pin 8 ( for the second 555)

want to know your viwpoints, and any suggestion will be appreciated!

thanks in advance!

Attachments

• temperature intensity meter.jpg
    temperature intensity meter.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 400
Engineering news on Phys.org
Each 555 needs its own power supply. Also, I wouldn't mirror the 2nd 555 horizontally on the schematic like that -- it makes it harder to follow.

Another question!
I'm so confused about supplying 7447 in my circuit... I know that i have to power it with Vcc on pin 16 and ground the pin 8 but what about the pins such as RB1 and LT (3,5), please help me!

what about some pins for other ICs in this circuit such as LS393 and 7408
any suggestion will be appriciated!

http://www.datasheet4u.com/html/7/4/4/7447_FairchildSemiconductor.pdf.html

http://www.datasheet4u.com/html/7/4/L/74LS393_FairchildSemiconductor.pdf.html

http://www.datasheet4u.com/html/7/4/0/7408_Fairchild.pdf.html

best regards!

The other connections can be left unconnected. They look like test connections from their names (zero blanking and lamp test). Unless a pin suggests some type of ENABLE, you can generally ignore extra connections. They are used for debug purposes, but can be useful to connect to a debug/reset circuit.

mezarashi said:
The other connections can be left unconnected. They look like test connections from their names (zero blanking and lamp test). Unless a pin suggests some type of ENABLE, you can generally ignore extra connections. They are used for debug purposes, but can be useful to connect to a debug/reset circuit.

what do you mean exactly by debug purposes? do you mean that I wouldn't connect pin3,5 of 7447 unless for debugging/resetting conditions?! :rolleyes:

will the supply of this IC (vCC and GND) be sufficient or i have to connect other pins to have correct output values?

thanks!

mezarashi said:
The other connections can be left unconnected.
I disagree. It is very poor design practice to leave unused inputs unconnected. You should instead figure out which direction you want to tie unused inputs to keep them inactive, and either hard tie them straight to that rail, or tie them through a resistor like 10kOhms or so.

The old TTL parts would self-bias unused inputs, so that they generally did not float (but not always). But for sure with modern CMOS logic, if you leave an input floating, it will buzz and float to mid-supply where it causes excessive current drain. Always tie unused inputs inactive.

berkeman said:
The old TTL parts would self-bias unused inputs, so that they generally did not float (but not always). But for sure with modern CMOS logic, if you leave an input floating, it will buzz and float to mid-supply where it causes excessive current drain. Always tie unused inputs inactive.

anyway my IC is TTL not CMOS , you think that I should tie unused inputs inactive to insure that it won't get input float...but what do you mean by input floating , i think you meant that the number displayed on 7-seg is not stable and might disappear due to low voltage consumed by it

can you clarify your thought more?! with all my respect!

thanks!

1. What is a temperature intensity meter?

A temperature intensity meter, also known as a thermometer, is a device used to measure the temperature of an object or environment. It typically consists of a glass or digital tube filled with a liquid, such as mercury or alcohol, that expands or contracts as the temperature changes.

2. How does a temperature intensity meter work?

A temperature intensity meter works by using the principle of thermal expansion. As the temperature increases, the molecules within the liquid in the thermometer move faster and take up more space, causing the liquid to rise in the tube. This rise in the liquid level is then converted into a temperature reading on a scale.

3. What are the units of measurement for a temperature intensity meter?

The units of measurement for a temperature intensity meter can vary depending on the type of thermometer. The most common units used are Celsius, Fahrenheit, and Kelvin. However, some thermometers may also use other units such as Rankine or Newton.

4. Are temperature intensity meters accurate?

The accuracy of a temperature intensity meter depends on various factors, including the type and quality of the thermometer, proper calibration, and environmental conditions. In general, digital thermometers tend to be more accurate than traditional glass thermometers.

5. Can temperature intensity meters measure extreme temperatures?

The range of temperatures that a temperature intensity meter can measure depends on the type of thermometer. Some thermometers are designed to measure high temperatures, while others are more suitable for low temperatures. It is important to check the specifications of the thermometer to ensure it is suitable for the desired temperature range.