What is the temperature loss along a duct with hot air entering?

In summary: Please continue your summary.1. The forced convection heat transfer coefficient between the air and the inside surface of the tube2. The equivalent heat transfer coefficient across the wall of the tube3. The natural convection heat transfer coefficient between the outside wall of the tube and the outside air at 30 C.Once you have those values, you can use the enthalpy of vaporization equation to calculate the temperature loss.
jordanb
TL;DR Summary
A solution to a problem regarding temperature entering a length of ducting at which the exit temperature needs to be calculated
Hello,

I am looking for assistance regarding temperature losses along a length of pipe with hot air entering one. I need to know the temperature leaving the other end of the pipe.

I have been able to calculate the W/m-K (in theory but stopped a i knew the answer wasnt what i needed) losses but was hoping to be able to calculate the temperature loss.

Info:

Pipe OD = 105mm
Pipe ID = 100
Flow rate of air = 800L/min
Air temp entering pipe = 200°C
Ambient temp = 30°C
Flow type - Laminar
Material = Not yet decided but any ABS plastic can be assumed (open on values regarding material for now)

i have been reading 2009 ASHARE handbook but with no achieved results. Any help would be greatly received.

Jordan

Engineering news on Phys.org
jordanb said:
TL;DR Summary: A solution to a problem regarding temperature entering a length of ducting at which the exit temperature needs to be calculated

Hello,

I am looking for assistance regarding temperature losses along a length of pipe with hot air entering one. I need to know the temperature leaving the other end of the pipe.

I have been able to calculate the W/m-K (in theory but stopped a i knew the answer wasnt what i needed) losses but was hoping to be able to calculate the temperature loss.

Info:

Pipe OD = 105mm
Pipe ID = 100
Flow rate of air = 800L/min
Air temp entering pipe = 200°C
Ambient temp = 30°C
Flow type - Laminar
Material = Not yet decided but any ABS plastic can be assumed (open on values regarding material for now)

i have been reading 2009 ASHARE handbook but with no achieved results. Any help would be greatly received.

Jordan
What is the air pressure, and what is the length of the pipe? What is the nature of the boundary conditions on the outside of the pipe (e.g., insulated, vertical natural convection, horizontal natural convection)?

To get some background on this, see Chapter 14 in Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.

Thank you for your reply. Air pressure can be assumed as 1bar. Length of the pipe being 5 meters (sorry i missed that off!) Horizontal natural convection.

I have researched both Thermodynmaic an engineering approach 4th edition and Transport Phenomena but i was hoping for some guidance as i don't fully understand.

OK. I'll help by asking some leading questions.

1. From the ideal gas law, what is the density of the entering air in g/l?
2. What is the viscosity of the entering air?
3. What is the Reynolds number of the entering air?

1. 2.03 g/l
2. 1.90 x 10^-4 gm/cm-sec
3. 40000

jordanb said:
1. 2.03 g/l
Wrong, try again.
jordanb said:
2. 1.90 x 10^-4 gm/cm-sec
Low. The online source I have gives 2.58 x 10^-4
jordanb said:
3. 40000
recalculate

1)

p/RT

P = 101325 Pa

R = 287.058 J

T = 304.15 K

1.16 g/l3) 46300

I have tried to copy my workings from a word doc with no prevail

jordanb said:
I have tried to copy my workings from a word doc with no prevail
Funny malapropism... :smile:

Please have a look at the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window to see how to post math here at PF. Note that you will need to refresh your browser one extra time when first posting LaTeX in a thread.

jordanb said:
1)

p/RT

P = 101325 Pa
Pa=J/m^3
jordanb said:
R = 287.058 J
R = 287 J/kg-K
jordanb said:
T = 304.15 K
200 C = 473 K

You can't get this right if you don't pay attention to the proper use of units.

Likes berkeman
Understood. Im trying to understand so please bare-with my incompetence.

So with the current values what would i need to calculate next?

jordanb said:
Understood. Im trying to understand so please bare-with my incompetence.

So with the current values what would i need to calculate next?
You still haven't calculated the density correctly or the Reynolds number for the flow. We need to know the Reynolds number in order to determine the heat transfer coefficient between the gas and the inside wall of the pipe. The Reynolds number determines the heat transfer coefficient and the relationship for turbulent flow is different from their relationship for laminar flow. The Reynolds number also helps us determine whether the flow is turbulent or laminar. So please try again to calculate the Reynolds number correctly.

The game plan in this calculation is to first determine 3 things:

1. The forced convection heat transfer coefficient between the air and the inside surface of the tube
2. The equivalent heat transfer coefficient across the wall of the tube
3. The natural convection heat transfer coefficient between the outside wall of the tube and the outside air at 30 C.

Item 1 can be determined from the heat transfer correlation presented in Fig. 14.3-2 of Transport Phenomena. This expresses the Nusselt number (dimensionless heat transfer coefficient) as a function of the Reynolds number for the flow and the Prantdl number of the air. The correlation is supposed to use the air physical properties averaged over the bulk flow and the wall temperature (arithmetic averages at inlet and outlet). However, since these are initially unknown, they would have to be determined iteratively. So, as a first approximation, we would be using the properties evaluated at the inlet air temperature (200 C). From the ideal gas law, the density of the inlet air is $$\rho=\frac{PM}{RT}=\frac{(101325)(0.029)}{(8.314)(473)}$$$$=0.747\ \frac{kg}{m^3}$$and the mss flow rate is $$\dot{m}=\rho Q=(0.747)(0.8)=0.598\ kg/min=0.00996\ kg/sec$$The viscosity of air qt 200 C is $$\mu=2.58\times 10^{-5}\ \frac{kg}{m.sec}$$So, the Reynolds number at the inlet temperature is $$Re=\frac{\rho v D}{\mu}=\frac{4\dot(m)}{\pi D\mu}=\frac{(4)(0.00996)}{(3.14159)(2.58\times 10^{-5})(0.1)}=4920$$This is beyond the transition between laminar and turbulent flow, and the flow is definitely turbulent.

From the heat transfer = correlation in Fig. 14.3-2 of Transport Phenomena, at this Reynolds number, we have that the Nusselt number is given by $$Nu=\frac{hD}{k}=0.004(Re)(Pr)^{1/3}=(0.004)(4920)(0.7)^{1/3}=17.5$$The thermal conductivity of air at 200 C is ##0.0382\ \frac{W}{m.C}## so the initial estimate of the inside heat transfer coefficient is given by $$h_{inside}=\frac{k}{D}Nu=\frac{0.0382}{0.1}17.5=6.69\ \frac{W}{m^2.C}$$

CONTINUED IN NEXT REPLY

Last edited:
CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS REPLY

For conduction through the ABS wall, the equivalent heat transfer coefficient is equal to the thermal conductivity of the plastic divided by the thickness of the tube wall (neglecting curvature). The thermal conductivity of ABS is about ##0.17\ W/m.C##. So, $$h_{wall}=\frac{0.17}{0.0025}=68.0\ W/m^2.C$$This is 10X the heat transfer coefficient for the air inside the tube, and is nearly negligible.

For natural convection heat transfer outside the tube, Bird et al (Transport Phenomena) give the following equation for the outside Nusselt Number ffrom a turrrbe with air on the outside : $$Nu_{outside}=0.365 (Gr)^{0.25}$$where Gr is the Grashoff number: $$Gr=\frac{g\beta |T_W-T_0|D^3}{\nu^2}$$where ##\beta## is the coefficient of volumetric thermal expansion (equal to 1/T for an ideal gas) nd ##\nu## is the cinematic viscosity (presumably evaluated at the wall temperature). The Nusselt number is going to be a function of the wall temperature itself, so the natural convection calculation is also going to be iterative. The highest the Nusselt number for the outside natural convection could be is if the outside wall temperature were equal to the inlet gas temperature, such that : $$Gr=\frac{(9.8)(1/473)(170)(0.105)^3}{(2.58\times 10^{-5}/0.747)^2}=3.42\times 10^6$$ $$NU_{outside, max}=0.365(3.42\times 10^6)^{0.25}=15.7$$This gives a maximum possible value of the outside heat transfer coefficient of $$h_{outside,max}=15.7\frac{k}{D}=\frac{(15.7)(0.0382)}{0.105}=5.7\ \frac{W}{m^2.C}$$This is consistent with the typical range of 3 - 20 ##\frac{W}{m^2.C}## for natural convection from tubes in Table 14.1-1 of Transport Phenomena.

The overall heat transfer coefficient U (neglecting wall curvature) is determined from the inside-, wall-, and outside heat transfer coefficients from the equation: $$\frac{1}{U}=\frac{1}{h_{inside}}+\frac{1}{h_{wall}}+\frac{1}{h_{outside}}$$Since, as noted previously, the values of ##h_{inside}## and ##h_{outside}## are upper bound estimates to the more accurate values obtained by further iteration, the value of U obtained from this equation will also be an upper bound: $$\frac{1}{U_{max}}=\frac{1}{6.69}+\frac{1}{68}+\frac{1}{5.7}$$This yields $$U_{max}=2.94$$

Solution of the differential heat balance equation for the pipe gives the following equation for the exit temperature of the air from the pipe: $$T_{exit}=30+(200-30)\exp{\left(-\frac{UA}{\dot{m}C_p}\right)}$$where A os the total heat transfer area in the pipe ##\pi DL##. Next, calculating the upper bound to the estimate of ##\frac{UA}{\dot{m}C_p}## in the above equation yields $$\frac{U_{max}A}{\dot{m}C_p}=\frac{(2.94)(1.61)}{(0.00996)(3.5)(8.314)\left(\frac{1000}{29}\right)}=0.474$$If we now substitute this into the equation for the exit temperature gives us a lower bound to what the exit temperature can be: $$T_{exit,min}=30+(200-30)\exp{(-0.474)}=136\ C$$
The exit temperature cannot be lower than this value. Any refinements (iterations) we make to the calculated exit temperature will result in a value higher than this.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Tom.G
Thank you for this. I have digested the information as best i can. I have tried to apply this to another example however, i cant see where the length of the ducting is factored into the formulas?

No problem, ive found it!

I have completed a different problem using the above as a template. Im not too happy with the results. Can anyone see what ive done wrong?

Attachments

• 783-Heat losses calculation-2(SS 75 ID) .docx
    90.2 KB · Views: 86
I have created a flow simulation to second back up calculations. The simulation is giving a result of 150°C ± 5°C

jordanb said:
I have completed a different problem using the above as a template. Im not too happy with the results. Can anyone see what ive done wrong?
Where did you get 0.394 for U from?

Likes jordanb
Thank you for spotting that, that is an error i have since noticed. I carried the wrong value down. However, this does not make the result any better.

jordanb said:
Thank you for spotting that, that is an error i have since noticed. I carried the wrong value down. However, this does not make the result any better.
What does "male the result any better" mean?

Im expecting to have a result of around 150°C. Im currently getting a result of 192°C which seems unrealistic that over 5meters of stainless steel, only 8°C of heat is lost?

jordanb said:
Im expecting to have a result of around 150°C. Im currently getting a result of 192°C which seems unrealistic that over 5meters of stainless steel, only 8°C of heat is lost?
You used a value of U=4 ?

Umax = 0.25

1/Umax=0.25
Umax = 4

Last edited:
If I were you, I would be using the information in BSL to refine these rough estimates as much as possible.

1. What causes temperature loss along a duct?

The main cause of temperature loss along a duct is due to heat transfer through the walls of the duct. This can happen through conduction, where heat is transferred through direct contact, or through convection, where heat is transferred through the movement of air or fluid.

2. How does the material of the duct affect temperature loss?

The material of the duct can greatly impact temperature loss. Materials with high thermal conductivity, such as metal, will result in more heat transfer and therefore more temperature loss compared to materials with lower thermal conductivity, such as insulation or plastic.

3. What factors can impact temperature loss along a duct?

Aside from the material of the duct, other factors that can impact temperature loss include the length and diameter of the duct, the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the duct, and the presence of any insulation or barriers that can reduce heat transfer.

4. How can temperature loss along a duct be minimized?

There are several ways to minimize temperature loss along a duct. One way is to use materials with low thermal conductivity, such as insulation, to reduce heat transfer. Another way is to reduce the length and diameter of the duct to decrease the surface area for heat transfer. Additionally, using ducts with smooth surfaces can also help reduce friction and therefore reduce temperature loss.

5. Can temperature loss along a duct be accurately predicted?

While there are mathematical equations that can estimate temperature loss along a duct, the actual temperature loss may vary depending on various factors such as air flow, duct design, and environmental conditions. It is important to conduct experiments or simulations to accurately predict temperature loss in a specific duct system.