Can you sort molecules by speed based on temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between temperature and the speed of molecules in a liquid, and the possibility of sorting molecules by speed to create hotter water from colder water. However, the conversation ultimately concludes that this is not possible, and directs the individual to read more about Maxwell's Demon for a more detailed explanation.
colin9876
Can someone explain if my understanding is correct- that temperature of say a liquid is proportional to the speed of the molecules?

My idea is if there was a way to sort different molecules by speed, could you say in theory, take 1litre of water at 30degrees and pick out the fastest molecules and say have 50mls of water at 50degrees C leaving the remainder 950mls at 28 degrees centigrate etc?

Science news on Phys.org
Excuse me ? No one asked to contribute to my question, so that sort of attidude not required thanks. The post you reference does not answer the point about 'sorting out' the fasted moving molecules.

My question is if there was some way to sort molecules could you get some hotter water out of some colder water - in theory

why the hell are you going off at me for? remember this question:
colin9876 said:
Can someone explain if my understanding is correct- that temperature of say a liquid is proportional to the speed of the molecules?

that link I gave you answered that question. Not to mention, all I said was search your questions before asking - it's a sticky thread if you havn't noticed.

to your molecule question: If there was a way to sort out molecules; the question would then be how do you separate the hotter molecules from the colder ones?

rough estimates or exactly?

colin9876 said:

My idea is if there was a way to sort different molecules by speed, could you say in theory, take 1litre of water at 30degrees and pick out the fastest molecules and say have 50mls of water at 50degrees C leaving the remainder 950mls at 28 degrees centigrate etc?
It's a tricky question, with an answer that is more subtle than one might think. The short answer is: no, it won't work. As to why, you'll have to do some more reading, as this the answer is more involved than a forum will really allow.

Read up on Maxwell's Demon - it deals directly and exactly with what you are asking.

1. How does temperature affect the speed of molecules?

As temperature increases, the speed of molecules also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide molecules with more kinetic energy, allowing them to move faster and collide more frequently with other molecules.

2. What is the relationship between temperature and average molecular speed?

The average speed of molecules is directly proportional to the temperature. As temperature increases, the average molecular speed also increases.

3. Can temperature affect the state of matter of a substance?

Yes, temperature plays a crucial role in determining the state of matter of a substance. As temperature increases, a solid can melt into a liquid and a liquid can evaporate into a gas. On the other hand, decreasing temperature can cause a gas to condense into a liquid and a liquid to freeze into a solid.

4. How does molecular weight affect the speed of molecules at a given temperature?

The speed of molecules is inversely proportional to their molecular weight. This means that lighter molecules will move faster at a given temperature compared to heavier molecules.

5. Is there a limit to how fast molecules can move at a certain temperature?

Yes, there is a limit to how fast molecules can move at a certain temperature. This is because at extremely high temperatures, molecules can reach their maximum speed and cannot move any faster due to physical limitations.