Temperature of a body exposed to sunlight

In summary, If you have a black painted aluminum exposed to sunlight (being it and the atmosfere at 27ºC), and you have the total solar radiation it is exposed to (lets say 1 ° KW-hr/m²), you can find the temperature of the aluminum by using Stefan's law.
jc.int
hello,
If I have a black painted aluminium exposed to sunlight (being it and the atmosfere at 27ºC), and I have the total solar radiation it is exposed to (lets say 1 ° KW-hr/m²), how can I know the evolution of its temperature?
(if there is any free simulator on the internet I would be glad if someone could give it, but I haven't found any).

Thank you,
Jaimie

Science news on Phys.org
If you only consider heat loss by radiation then I would say that the blackened Aluminium would reach an equilibrium temperature when it is radiating 1kW/m^2
Then use Stefan's law
E = σT^4 to find T (in Kelvin)
I got about 90C using your figures...seems reasonable

Hi Jaimie,

I don't understand this unit here below. What you will need to do is find the cross sectional area of your aluminum bucket and use that to find the energy per unit time being absorbed by the bucket.

jc.int said:
(lets say 1 ° KW-hr/m²)

The other answer given to you will be very approximate because the entire bucket will be radiating heat, while only the side facing the sun will be acquiring heat.

You have a few assumptions to make.

I mean that the solar energy received in one m2 in 1hour is 1 ° KW (metric units for solar energy radiatio, see http://www.raws.dri.edu/cgi-bin/rawMAIN.pl?nmXHAC , equivalent to the Langley, ºly). What I'd like to know what is the relation between the painting absorbion, aluminum heat capacity, etc

Thank you,
Jaimie

I was confused previously because your first unit was not a rate.

I think it would help for you to write down a list of variables that you have to consider. That way you can decide which ones are "negligible" and which ones you'd like to make assumptions for. I assure you that there are more variables than absorption and heat capacity.

1. What is the relationship between sunlight and temperature?

The temperature of a body exposed to sunlight is directly influenced by the amount of solar radiation it receives. The more sunlight that hits the body, the higher its temperature will rise.

2. Does the color of the body affect its temperature in sunlight?

Yes, the color of a body can affect its temperature when exposed to sunlight. Darker colors tend to absorb more solar radiation, resulting in a higher temperature compared to lighter colors which reflect more radiation and stay cooler.

3. How does the angle of sunlight impact the temperature of a body?

The angle of sunlight plays a significant role in determining the temperature of a body. When sunlight hits a surface at a steep angle, it is more concentrated and can cause a higher temperature. However, when sunlight hits a surface at a shallow angle, it is spread out and may not have as much of an impact on temperature.

4. Can the temperature of a body exposed to sunlight change over time?

Yes, the temperature of a body exposed to sunlight can change over time. As the angle of the sun changes throughout the day, the amount and intensity of sunlight hitting the body will also change, resulting in fluctuations in temperature.

5. How does the surrounding environment affect the temperature of a body in sunlight?

The surrounding environment can have a significant impact on the temperature of a body exposed to sunlight. For example, a body placed in a shaded area with lower air temperature will not absorb as much solar radiation and may stay cooler compared to the same body placed in a sunny, warmer environment.