Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature of coexistence 3 phases in mixture of gas and vapor - trivial question?

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    Hello,

Im new here and I hope someone of you can answer this probably trivial question. I tried to find the answer in many of phyisc/termodynamic texbooks but in vain.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/123002h.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/62/123002h.jpg/

According to the phase diagram 3 phases (fig. II) of matter can coexist only by conditions of triple point, so when:
    - temperature = temperature of triple point
    - preassure = preassure of triple point at the same time.
    Now lets have mixture of gas and vapour, for example mixture of dry air and watter. In literature or in Moillier diagram (fig. I) are determined 4 possible situations:
    - the air is not saturated (area A, fig. I),
    - the air is saturated (RH = 100%, fig. I),
    - the air is over-saturated: watter coexists in phases liquid + gas (area B, fig. I),
    - the air is over-saturated: watter coexists in phases solid + gas (area C, fig. I),
    - the air is over-saturated: watter coexists in phases solid + liquid + gas (area D, fig. I).
    It depends on relation of temperature of mixture to temperature "0°C", which of three possible situations in area of over-saturated air comes. There is alwas mentioned probably rounded value of temperature "0°C" in literature or in Mollier diagram, but without further explanations. So Im asking, is it temperature of triple point Ttp or temperature of melting T12(p)? Or is the problem more complicated? I know, that difference between value of Ttp and T12(p) of watter is negligible, but there are matters where the difference is significant.

Ill appreciate any advice or suggestion. Im sorry for my bad english.

Best regards
    Paul

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Re: Temperature of coexistence 3 phases in mixture of gas and vapor - trivial questio

The melting point is pressure-dependent. If you want to have all 3 phases at the same time (in equilibrium), you are at the triple point, which is equal to the melting point at the pressure of the triple point. In addition, it is the boiling point at this pressure and the point where sublimation is in equilibrium.

4. Apr 24, 2012 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: Temperature of coexistence 3 phases in mixture of gas and vapor - trivial questio

I was taught that NTP is 0C and 760mm Hg, which is not quite the same as the triple point.
    Mind you, that was a long time ago.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook