Temperature of the tank in a superheater

In summary, to model the rate of change of temperature for a superheater, you need to include a temperature difference between the wall of the tank and the outlet temperature.
vishnu123
how can i find the rate of change of temperature of the tank for a superheater? Or is there any relationship between the change in temperature of the tank when it is filled with hot gas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello again,

Your question is a bit unclear: are you talking about the 'tank' wall or about the 'tank' contents ?

Usually a superheater is a heat exchanger with a hot gas on the process side and an even hotter gas on the utility side. As such it has a temperature profile, not just 'a temperature'.

hello once again,
I have modeled electric superheater, but not a heat exchangerand i am talking about the tank wall temperature.so in the equation i need to find the temperature difference of the wall. i know the initial temperature of the tank wall but not the final temperature of the wall. so the initial temperature will be when the tank is completely empty and the final temperature will be the temperature after it is been filled with the gas.

This sounds rather strange to me. You have an initial temperature of a tank wall for a (vacuum ?) tank and want to do a dynamic simulation of simultaneously filling (how and with what?) and heating (how and with what ?) ?

In a previous thread you wanted to build an evaporator model. Is this superheater a separate piece of equipment ? Are you describing a continuous flow process or a batch process ?

Could you please specify a complete scenario ? You'll need it anyway for a working model. Also make clear what assumptions and simplifications you make.

Likes russ_watters
hello @BvU ,
its nothing to do with boiler. Its completely an other task. Its a continuous flow process,but i am jus modelling the individual components and later i need to include all the components in the main model. Here is the equation which i have modeled for superheater
$$m_{a}*C_{p}*\frac{\mathrm{d}T _{a}}{\mathrm{d} t}+\rho _{s}*V_{s}*C_{p}**\frac{\mathrm{d}T _{out}}{\mathrm{d} t}= Q_{ele}+C_{p}*\dot{m}_{in}(T_{in}-T_{out})$$
where
[m][/a] = mass of metal/wall
[C][/p] = Specific heat
[T][/a] = temperature of the metal
[ρ][/s] = density of the steam
[V][/s] = Volume of the steam
[T][/out] = Outlet Temperature of the steam
[Q][/ele] = electrical resistance
mdot = Mass flow rate
[T][/in] = Inlet Temperature of the steam

so in this equation i need to find the rate of change of temperature of the metal. What I need is is there any relation to find the rate of change of metal/wall. I don't know how it works when I implemeted in main model. As of now i am just modelling the individual components with few reference input values.

Well, to a first approximation, you can take the metal temperature to be equal to the outlet temperature. Otherwise, you need to include a separate heat balance on the metal, and account for the heat transfer rate between between the vapor and the metal.

1. What is the purpose of measuring the temperature of the tank in a superheater?

The temperature of the tank in a superheater is measured to ensure that the steam produced is at the desired temperature for optimal efficiency in a power plant. It also helps to monitor the performance and health of the superheater.

2. How is the temperature of the tank in a superheater measured?

The temperature of the tank in a superheater is typically measured using thermocouples or resistance temperature detectors (RTDs). These sensors are placed at various points within the tank to accurately measure the temperature.

3. What factors can affect the temperature of the tank in a superheater?

The temperature of the tank in a superheater can be affected by various factors such as the type of fuel being used, the flow rate of steam, the design and condition of the superheater, and the ambient temperature of the surroundings.

4. What is the ideal temperature range for the tank in a superheater?

The ideal temperature range for the tank in a superheater depends on the specific type of power plant and its operating conditions. However, in general, the temperature should be high enough to ensure efficient energy production, but not so high that it causes damage to the superheater or other components.

5. How is the temperature of the tank in a superheater controlled?

The temperature of the tank in a superheater is typically controlled by adjusting the flow rate of steam and the fuel input. This allows for precise control of the temperature to maintain optimal efficiency and prevent any potential damage to the superheater.