Why Is the Calculated Temperature of the Universe Different from 3K?

In summary: It's true that, "the peak wavelength is inversely proportional to temperature (or the peak frequency is directly proportional to temperature)". But the proportionality constants are different and the peaks occur in different places, so the peak frequency is not related to the peak wavelength by λpeak = c / νpeak.
mystreet123

Homework Statement

Two scientists detected the cosmic microwave background radiation at a frequency of 160 GHz. What is the temperature of the universe?

Homework Equations

peak wavelength x temperature = 2.898 x 10^-3
c = f x wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the wavelength of the microwave radiation to be 1.875x10^-3m. So the temperature is 1.5456K.
But the answer is 3K... How come??

Physics news on Phys.org
mystreet123 said:
Two scientists detected the cosmic microwave background radiation at a frequency of 160 GHz. What is the temperature of the universe?

The cosmic microwave background radiation has a thermal black body spectrum at a temperature of 2.72548±0.00057 K.
The spectral radiance dEν/dν peaks at 160.23 GHz.

see detail at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_microwave_background

The peak of the wavelength distribution is not at the same place as the peak of the frequency distribution, because the blackbody spectrum is not linear. So you cannot say: λpeak = c / νpeak. Try reading this link. Or try taking the blackbody distribution I(λ) and differentiate to find the peak, then compare it to the peak of I(ν). You will then see why they are different.

phyzguy said:
The peak of the wavelength distribution is not at the same place as the peak of the frequency distribution, because the blackbody spectrum is not linear. So you cannot say: λpeak = c / νpeak. Try reading this link. Or try taking the blackbody distribution I(λ) and differentiate to find the peak, then compare it to the peak of I(ν). You will then see why they are different.
Thanks for replying!
From the link you gave me, "However the form of the law remains the same: the peak wavelength is inversely proportional to temperature (or the peak frequency is directly proportional to temperature)." Why couldn't I use the v=fλ to find peak frequency?

mystreet123 said:
Thanks for replying!
From the link you gave me, "However the form of the law remains the same: the peak wavelength is inversely proportional to temperature (or the peak frequency is directly proportional to temperature)." Why couldn't I use the v=fλ to find peak frequency?

It's true that, "the peak wavelength is inversely proportional to temperature (or the peak frequency is directly proportional to temperature)". But the proportionality constants are different and the peaks occur in different places, so the peak frequency is not related to the peak wavelength by λpeak = c / νpeak. The reason is that the differential dν is not linearly related to the differential dλ. I'm going to repeat what I said before. Try finding the peaks of the two distributions and you will see why λpeak = c / νpeak does not work.

1. What is the current estimated temperature of the Universe?

The current estimated temperature of the Universe is approximately 2.7 Kelvin (-270.45 degrees Celsius or -454.81 degrees Fahrenheit). This is known as the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the remnant heat from the Big Bang.

2. How does the temperature of the Universe change over time?

The temperature of the Universe has been steadily decreasing since the Big Bang. In the first few minutes after the Big Bang, the temperature was extremely high at around 10^32 Kelvin. As the Universe expanded, the temperature gradually decreased and reached its current temperature after approximately 380,000 years.

3. Is the temperature of the Universe the same everywhere?

No, the temperature of the Universe is not the same everywhere. There are small variations in temperature across the Universe, known as temperature anisotropies. These variations can be seen in the cosmic microwave background radiation and are important in understanding the formation of large-scale structures in the Universe.

4. How do scientists measure the temperature of the Universe?

The temperature of the Universe is measured using a tool called a thermometer. However, instead of using a traditional thermometer, scientists use a specialized instrument called a spectrophotometer. This instrument measures the intensity of light at different wavelengths, which can then be used to determine the temperature of the Universe.

5. Can the temperature of the Universe change in the future?

Yes, the temperature of the Universe can change in the future. As the Universe continues to expand, the temperature will continue to decrease. However, it is unknown what will happen in the far future, as some theories suggest that the Universe may eventually begin to contract and the temperature may increase once again.