1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temporal average

1. May 2, 2010 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The temporal average of a function f(t) over an interval T is given by [tex]\langle f(t) \rangle=\frac{1}{T} \int _{t}^{t+T} f(t') dt'[/tex].
    Let [tex]\tau =\frac{2 \pi}{\omega}[/tex]. Calulate the temporal average of [tex]\langle \sin ^2 (\vec k \cdot \vec r - \omega t) \rangle =\frac{1}{2}[/tex], when [tex]T=\tau[/tex] and [tex]T >> \tau[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    Already given in the problem description.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand the problem. Aren't they asking me to prove that [tex]\langle \sin ^2 (\vec k \cdot \vec r - \omega t) \rangle =\frac{1}{2}[/tex] for [tex]T=\tau[/tex] and to calculate [tex]\langle \sin ^2 (\vec k \cdot \vec r - \omega t) \rangle[/tex] for [tex]T>> \tau[/tex]? If so, it's really not clear. If not, could you please explain with a bit more details? I can't start the problem since I don't understand it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2
    Looks to me like the question is asking you to show that

[tex]\left\langle \sin^2\left[\vec{k}\cdot\vec{r}-\omega t\right]\right\rangle=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

for both [itex]T=\tau[/itex] and [itex]T\gg\tau[/itex].

4. May 2, 2010 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok thanks a lot. I'll give some tries. :smile:

5. May 3, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The first case, [itex]T=\tau[/itex] can be easily done with a useful trick....if you graph sin^2(u) and cos^2(u) over a full period, you should see that the area under them is equal and so

[tex]\int_{u_0}^{u_0+2\pi}\sin^2(u)du=\int_{u_0}^{u_0+2\pi}\cos^2(u)du=\frac{1}{2}\left(\int_{u_0}^{u_0+2\pi}\sin^2(u)du+\int_{u_0}^{u_0+2\pi}\cos^2(u)du\right)=\frac{1}{2}\int_{u_0}^{u_0+2\pi}du=\pi[/tex]

For the second case, I think you will want to use the double angle formula, and then expand your result in a Taylor series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook