Calculating Shear and Tensile force in a rivet at an angle

In summary, the conversation discusses conflicting information regarding the calculation for shear and tensile force applied to a rivet. The speaker correctly uses the formula 50sin30 for shear force and 50cos30 for tensile force, but the lecturer states that only the calculation for shear force is necessary and that tensile force would simply be 50kN. The speaker is struggling to understand this and seeks further explanation. The expert advises the speaker to ask the lecturer for clarification and welcomes them to the forum.
Carbretta
Homework Statement
A Load F of 50kN is applied to the tensile member shown in figure 3, and is carried at the joint by a single rivet. The axis of the rivet is at 30 degrees to the line of action of the load F
Relevant Equations
a) Calculate the tensile and shear stresses in a 20mm diameter rivet
b) Calculate the tensile strain in a 20mm diameter rivet
c) If the ultimate tensile stress of the rivet material is 350MPa and its modulus of elasticity is 150GPa find the safety factor the the above rivet in operation
Hi all!

I have used this forum a few times and it has been very helpful, however now I am stuck. I have completed the question above however I have conflicting information regarding the Tensile and Shear force being applied to the rivet. I use the following calculation for this:

Shear Force: 50sin30
Tensile Force: 50cos30

However the lecturer has informed me that the calculation only needs to be done for the shear force, and that the Tensile force would simply be 50kN (The force being applied). This is in contradiction to another post I have seen with a very similar question on this forum. I am struggling to visualise and understand how this would work out. If someone could explain this to me I would be very grateful as I don't just want to give a correct answer, I would like to understand why as well. Thanks in advance!

20191123_135651.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct. I’m not sure of the reasoning behind your lecturer’s response. The total applied force vector is 50 kN in the horizontal direction. The vector component parallel to the plane of the cross section is the shear force, and the vector component perpendicular to the plane of the cross section is the tensile force. That is what you have correctly done. Ask him what he meant.

By the Way, welcome to PF as a member!

Likes Tom.G

1. How do you calculate the shear and tensile force in a rivet at an angle?

To calculate the shear and tensile force in a rivet at an angle, you must first determine the angle at which the force is being applied. Then, you can use trigonometric functions to find the components of the force in the x and y directions. Finally, you can use the equations for shear and tensile stress to calculate the actual forces.

2. What is the difference between shear and tensile force in a rivet?

Shear force is the force that acts parallel to the surface of the rivet, while tensile force is the force that acts perpendicular to the surface. Shear force is responsible for the sliding or tearing of the rivet, while tensile force is responsible for the pulling or stretching of the rivet.

3. What factors affect the shear and tensile force in a rivet at an angle?

The angle at which the force is applied, the material properties of the rivet and the materials it is connecting, the size and shape of the rivet, and the magnitude of the force itself are all factors that can affect the shear and tensile force in a rivet at an angle.

4. Can the shear and tensile force in a rivet at an angle be calculated using the same equations as a straight rivet?

Yes, the equations for shear and tensile stress can still be used for calculating the forces in a rivet at an angle. However, the angle must be taken into account when determining the components of the force in the x and y directions.

5. How can the shear and tensile force in a rivet at an angle be increased?

The shear and tensile force in a rivet at an angle can be increased by using a larger or stronger rivet, increasing the angle at which the force is applied, or using materials with higher strength properties. It is important to consider the intended use and load-bearing requirements when selecting the appropriate rivet and angle for the application.