Is there an easy way to calculate tension and torque in a hanging rope?

In summary, The tension in the rope can be found by drawing a free-body diagram and using trigonometric functions to calculate the forces on the rope. The forces in the x and y direction are balanced since the rope is not moving. Using the given weight and the angle, the tension on each side of the rope can be calculated to be 1580 N. Multiplying by the opposite side of the triangle gives the correct answer of 7920 N for the tension in the rope.
fiziksfun
1. 'A rope of negligible mass is stretched horizontally between two supports that are 3.44 meters apart. When an object of weight 3160 N is hung at the center of the rope, the is observed to sag by 35.0 cm. What is the tension in the rope?'

2. Does this have anything to do with torque??

3. ATTEMPTS:

I divided 3.44 by 2 (1.72) to find the horizontal length from one support to the object. From that I found that the length of the rope from the object to one of the supports is 1.72^2 + .35^2 = X^2 (it's a triangle), x=1.75

I can assume because the object is in the center of the rope that the tension on both sides of the rope is equal. Can I also assume the forces sum to 0 because its stagnant? BAH I'm so confused, I don't know what to do!
The correct answer is 7920. Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
it's not torque. draw a free-body diagram of the rope and label all the forces.

I drew a free-body diagram and I'm still confused. I really have no idea how to do this. How can I solve for tension!? I don't know the tension along the x-axis or the y-axis ? I know the angle - 11.5 degrees.

you DO know the downward force on the rope. you also know that the forces at either side should do what? is the rope moving? you have an angle and a side, you can get the other side, provided you draw a right triangle with the vectors.

ahhh i see, the rope is not moving so forces in the x and y direction are balanced.. i think i understand. so EFy = (<-- supposed to be sigma) = 0 = -W + 2Frope,y .. so Frope,y = 1580 on each side and the angle is 11 degrees .. so 1580*sin11=7925 .. about the right answer .. but that is the tension in the rope for only one side ? Oh dear, well thank you anyway !

remember that sin = opposite/hypotenuse

Last edited:
i think that sin = opposite / hypotenuse .. o/a = tan

oops, I'm tired :(

besides the original poster still used the sin funtion to calculate the hypotenuse by multiplying by the opposite if i follow correctly.

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a rope, cable, or other similar object when it is pulled tight. It is a result of the opposing forces acting on the object and is measured in units of newtons (N).

2. How is tension different from torque?

Tension and torque are both forces, but they act in different ways. Tension is a pulling force, while torque is a twisting force. Tension is linear and acts along the length of an object, while torque is rotational and acts around an axis.

3. What factors affect tension?

Tension is affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the angle at which the force is applied, and the properties of the object being pulled. The material, length, and cross-sectional area of the object can all impact the amount of tension it can withstand.

4. How does tension impact the strength of a structure?

Tension can play a significant role in the strength of a structure. If a structure is subjected to excessive tension, it can cause the object to deform, break, or fail. Engineers must carefully consider the amount of tension a structure can handle when designing buildings, bridges, and other structures.

5. How is tension measured?

Tension is typically measured using a device called a dynamometer, which utilizes a spring or other mechanism to measure the amount of force being applied. Tension can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the properties of the object and the force being applied.