Suspending a Weight with 3 Cords: A Puzzle

In summary, the problem involves a weight suspended by three cords, with one going up vertically, one going left 30° below horizontal, and one going right 45° above horizontal. The goal is to find the forces acting on the weight using the equation f=ma. In order to do so, the sum of forces in the horizontal and vertical directions must be equal to zero. A diagram would be helpful in visualizing the problem.
fisselt

Homework Statement

Weight suspended by 3 cords. 1 from the weight goes up vertically to the knot. The next goes left 30° below horizontal and the last goes to the right 45° above horizontal.

Homework Equations

f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think I've ever worked a problem with a cord below horizontal. So I'm stumbling a bit.

Since there's only 1 cord above horizontal (T1) it should carry the whole y force. So, in y T1=T2+T3
And, in x the left and right cords must be equal T1=T2

T1sin(45)=T2sin(30)+mg

Not sure about the rest. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement is somewhat confusing. A figure would really help.

Quick picture I just made.

Attachments

• Tension.jpg
    Tension.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 448
As the object not going up or down
it's too not going left or right, equal forces must be there to make it in equilibrium.

You simply need to sum forces, both horizontal and vertical, at the junction point, and require that both sum to zero. That will give you everything you need.

What is the puzzle "Suspending a Weight with 3 Cords"?

"Suspending a Weight with 3 Cords" is a popular mathematical puzzle that involves using three cords of equal length to suspend a weight from a ceiling. The goal is to find a solution that allows the weight to hang freely without touching any of the cords.

What is the purpose of this puzzle?

The purpose of this puzzle is to challenge one's problem-solving and critical thinking skills. It also helps to develop spatial reasoning and logical thinking abilities.

What are the rules of the puzzle?

The rules of this puzzle are as follows:

• Three cords of equal length are provided.
  • The weight must be suspended from the ceiling using these three cords.
  • The weight must hang freely without touching any of the cords.

Is there only one solution to this puzzle?

No, there are multiple solutions to this puzzle. However, the solutions may vary depending on the specific constraints and parameters given in the puzzle.

How can I approach solving this puzzle?

There is no one specific method to solve this puzzle. However, some possible approaches include using trial and error, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, and applying logical reasoning to eliminate impossible solutions. It also helps to approach the puzzle with an open mind and to think creatively.