Tension Calculation for Spinning Rope

• Thread starter Sesj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary: He should be able to do it with a few simple algebraic manipulations. In summary, the tension in the rope is equal to the tangential component of the force.
Sesj
HELP! stuck on this problem

A circle of rope of total mass 3.14kg and a radius of 2 meters is spinning at an angular velocity of 1 rad/sec about an axis through the center of the circle. What is the tension in the rope?

any help or solution would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a physicist (and as such not a competant advisor), but it seems to me that it would be equal to the tangenitial component of the force,

[tex]F_t=m\alpha r[/tex].

Someone should possibly confirm or deny.

Last edited:
Berislav said:
I'm not a physicist (and as such not a competant advisor), but it seems to me that it would be equal to the tangenitial component of the force,

[tex]F_t=m\alpha r[/tex].

Someone should possible confirm or deny.

Berislav, there is no angular acceleration [tex]\alpha[/tex] because the motion is uniformly circular.

Also the question is not as easy as it seems. Because the rope has mass, the tension varies (probably non-linearly) along the length of the rope. So it depends on which point of the rope is asked the value of tension T. It can be expressed as a formula, instead.

ramollari said:
Berislav, there is no angular acceleration [tex]\alpha[/tex] because the motion is uniformly circular.

Ah, yes. I misread the question. I thought that it said angular acceleration instead of angular velocity. Sorry for posting the wrong answer.

EDIT:

This is probably wrong as well, but since I'm planning to study physics at University I would like to try to solve as much exercies as possible:

What about finding the tension by comparing the difference of the x-th component of two centripical forces acting in two infitesmaly close point and then integrating over the enitire rope.

Last edited:
Berislav said:
This is probably wrong as well,

What about finding the tension by comparing the difference of the x-th component of two centripical forces acting in two infitesmaly close point and then integrating over the enitire rope.

Yes, you are close to the solution. The tension at the very end is zero. If you sum up (or rather integrate) the differences in tension up to the point we are interested in, you come up with the resultant tension.
A better approach IMO is to divide the rope into tiny pieces of mass dm and find the tension on each piece as

[tex]dT = \omega ^2rdm[/tex],

Knowing that the tension is transmitted along all the rope, we add the tensions of all the pieces with integration from [tex]m_0[/tex] the mass at the extreme (= 0), to [tex]m_f[/tex], which is the mass from the point we are interested into the extreme. The variable r can be expressed in terms of the mass from a specific point to the extreme of the rope, since the latter is uniformly distributed.

[tex]T = \int dT = \omega ^2 \int_{m_0 = 0}^{m_f} r(m)dm[/tex],

PS: I may also have misunderstood the question because maybe the rope is in circular shape rotating about an axis passing through its centre.

Expressing r in terms of m is left to the guy who started the thread.

Last edited:

1. What is the problem that you are stuck on?

The first step in seeking help with a problem is to clearly identify the issue. Can you explain the problem in detail or provide any relevant background information?

2. Have you tried any solutions or strategies already?

It is important to provide any steps or attempts you have made towards solving the problem. This can help others understand your thought process and provide more targeted assistance.

3. Can you provide any relevant data or code related to the problem?

If the problem is related to a specific dataset or code, it is helpful to provide this information to those trying to help you. This allows them to replicate the issue and provide more accurate solutions.

4. What have you researched so far?

It is important to show that you have put effort into finding a solution on your own. Share any resources or references you have consulted in your research, as it may prevent others from providing the same information.

5. Is there any specific aspect of the problem you need help with?

If you are looking for specific guidance, be sure to mention it. This can help others provide more targeted assistance and save time for both parties.