Calculating Tension in a Revolving Sphere: Solving for T1 and T2

In summary: Fnety= Tsin 26 + -T2 sin 26 -Fg= 0In summary, the tension in the upper wire is 31.819 N, while the tension in the lower wire is 0.
klm
Two wires are tied to the 400 g sphere shown in figure. The sphere revolves in a horizontal circle at a constant speed of 8.30 m/s

1) What is the tension in the upper wire?
2) What is the tension in the lower wire?

28w1ipz.jpg

okay i know that m=.4 and v=8.3
i don't know r, which i thought that maybe i could find by doing the square root (1^2-.5^2) =.866
and then Force= m V^2 / R sooo.. (.4)(8.3^2)/(.866) = 31.819 . but i don't know where to go from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
okay i also think..
Fnetx= -T1 cos 26 + -T2 cos 26 = mv^2/ r
Fnety= Tsin 26 + -T2 sin 26 -Fg= mv^2/ r

so my free body diagram looks like 1 wire pulling in the 2nd quad, one in the 3 quad, and Fg going straight down on the y axis

yep. No motion in y-dir., so forces sum up to zero. In X- dir. they will contribute to centripetal force.

Last edited:
but i don't understand how the tension in the 2 wires are going to be different

Fnety= Tsin 26 + -T2 sin 26 -Fg= 0
T1 sin 26 - T2 sin 26 = Fg
T1 sin 26 - T2 sin 26 = 3.92

-T1 cos 26 + -T2 cos 26 = 31.82

^ i am not sure how to solve for T1 or T2 . can you please help me with that

please can someone help me!

i figured out the T2, but now i can't figure out T1. shouldn't it just be plug T2 into one of the equations and it should give you T1??

klm said:
Fnety= Tsin 26 + -T2 sin 26 -Fg= 0
T1 sin 26 - T2 sin 26 = Fg
T1 sin 26 - T2 sin 26 = 3.92
Where does the 26 degrees come from?

-T1 cos 26 + -T2 cos 26 = 31.82
Which way does the centripetal acceleration act?

Once you correct your equations, isolate the T1 term in each, like this:

[tex]T_1 \sin\theta = mg + T_2 \sin\theta[/tex]

26 came from inverse tan (.5/1)

does centripetal acc act on the Horizontal force?

klm said:
26 came from inverse tan (.5/1)
But the 1 m side is the hypotenuse. That should be inverse sin (.5/1).

klm said:
does centripetal acc act on the Horizontal force?
My question is: What's the direction of the centripetal acceleration?

umm this may be wrong, but i thought centripetal acc just means that the direction is toward the center

ohh wait i know what i did. it is just the angle that is messing me up! thank you for pointing that out. i don't know why, but the angle i used still let me get the tension of the first string??!

klm said:
umm this may be wrong, but i thought centripetal acc just means that the direction is toward the center
That's exactly right. So, what direction is that? Should it be positive or negative?

negative

would that be right?

klm said:
negative
Good. So fix your equation for horizontal forces.

Fnetx= -T1 cos 26 + -T2 cos 26 = - mv^2/ r

klm said:
Fnetx= -T1 cos 26 + -T2 cos 26 = - mv^2/ r
Good. Now combine with the other equation and solve.

1. What is tension in the context of centripetal force?

Tension is a force that is experienced by a string, rope, or any other object that is being pulled or stretched. In the context of centripetal force, tension refers to the force that is exerted on an object moving in a circular path, towards the center of the circle.

2. How is tension related to centripetal force?

Tension and centripetal force are directly related. In order to maintain constant motion in a circular path, an object must experience a centripetal force that is directed towards the center of the circle. This force is provided by the tension in the string or rope that is pulling the object towards the center.

3. How is tension calculated in a centripetal force problem?

The magnitude of tension in a centripetal force problem can be calculated using the equation T = mv^2/r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. This equation is derived from the formula for centripetal force, Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc represents the centripetal force.

4. Can tension ever be greater than the centripetal force?

No, tension can never be greater than the centripetal force in a circular motion problem. This is because the centripetal force is the net force that is necessary to maintain an object's motion in a circular path, and tension is just one component of this force. Therefore, the maximum value of tension can only be equal to the centripetal force.

5. How does tension affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

The tension in a string or rope has no effect on the speed of an object in circular motion. The speed of an object is determined by its mass, the radius of the circular path, and the centripetal force acting on it. As long as the centripetal force remains constant, the speed of the object will also remain constant, regardless of the tension in the string.