1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in a rope

1. Aug 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How do i find the tension in a cord. If two equal forces,say F1 and F2, act on both ends of the cord the tension is F1=F2. What if the forces are not equal?
    If a force A pulls one end of a rope, and a force B, pulls the other end and A is not equal to B, what is the tension in the rope.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the rope has no mass, the forces at both ends are the same according to Newton's Third Law.
    The forces can be different at the ends if the rope has mass and accelerates, or is subjected to gravity. In this case, the tension is different at different cross-sections inside the rope.

ehild

4. Aug 20, 2011 #3
    thanks!!

5. Aug 20, 2011 #4
    Technically, saying "the forces are equal" means they have equal magnitude and direction. Yes, the vast majority of readers will know what you mean but I've found its important to be somewhat pedantic in quiz questions. Otherwise a student can, for example, make the point I make here about the force, and its a valid point.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook