What is the tension in the string?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension in a string attached to a suspended block. The block is suspended at the midpoint of the string, which is 1.25m long with the ends attached to the ceiling 1m apart. The equations used to solve for the tensions are cosθ, sinθ, and tanθ. The solution involves finding the angle the string makes with the ceiling, using the x and y components of the tensions, and solving for T_1 and T_2. The correct answer is 4.083N, and the previous attempts may have been due to rounding errors.
risepj

Homework Statement

"What is the tension in the string?"

• .5kg block
  • Suspended at the midpoint of a 1.25m-long string
  • Ends of string attached to ceiling are 1m apart.

Homework Equations

cosθ, sinθ, tanθ

T[itex]_1[/itex][itex]_x[/itex]+T[itex]_2[/itex][itex]_x[/itex]+F[itex]_g[/itex][itex]_x[/itex]=ma[itex]_x[/itex]

T[itex]_1[/itex][itex]_y[/itex]+T[itex]_2[/itex][itex]_y[/itex]+F[itex]_g[/itex][itex]_y[/itex] = T[itex]_1[/itex][itex]_y[/itex]+T[itex]_2[/itex][itex]_y[/itex]- F[itex]_g[/itex] = ma[itex]_x[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My homework is online and immediately verifies whether or not your answers are correct. I was able to solve that the angle the string makes with the ceiling is 36.87°.

From there, I attempted to solve for T[itex]_1[/itex] and T[itex]_2[/itex] as follows:

T[itex]_1[/itex][itex]_x[/itex]+T[itex]_2[/itex][itex]_x[/itex]+F[itex]_g[/itex][itex]_x[/itex]=ma[itex]_x[/itex].

⇔ T[itex]_1[/itex]cos(36.87°) - T[itex]_2[/itex]cos(36.87°) + 0 = 0 (since the force of gravity has no affect on the x-component of the tensions, and the object is not accelerating).

⇔ T[itex]_2[/itex] = T[itex]_1[/itex]cos(36.87°)/cos(36.87°) = T[itex]_1[/itex].

T[itex]_1[/itex][itex]_y[/itex]+T[itex]_2[/itex][itex]_y[/itex]+F[itex]_g[/itex][itex]_y[/itex]=0.

⇔ T[itex]_1[/itex]sin(36.87°) +T[itex]_2[/itex]sin(36.87°)=F[itex]_g[/itex]

⇔ 2T[itex]_1[/itex]sin(36.87°)=F[itex]_g[/itex]

Therefore,

⇔ T[itex]_1[/itex]=.5kg(9.8m/(s2))/(2*sin(36.87°)) = 4.083N.

I've used up all but one of my attempts. Maybe it's because I'm not understanding the wording of the problem. I used up two attempts by guessing T[itex]_1[/itex]+T[itex]_2[/itex] = 8.16/8.17 (I thought that it may be an issue with rounding).

Anyway, if someone could provide some input as to what the problem is asking, I would be extremely appreciative! And it would also be nice to have someone verify that my math and setup of this problem is correct. Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
risepj said:
⇔ T[itex]_1[/itex]=.5kg(9.8m/(s2))/(2*sin(36.87°)) = 4.83N.

I think you just miss a zero. It is 4.083 N

ehild

Whoops, I think I actually did use 4.083 when I submitted my answer. Later in my post you see that I said that T[itex]_1[/itex]+T[itex]_2[/itex] equals 8.16/8.17, which is double 4.08.

Editing first post to reflect that.

What is tension in the string?

Tension in the string is the force applied by the string in order to maintain its shape and structure. It is the pulling force that is transmitted through the string when it is under tension.

How is tension in the string measured?

Tension in the string is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds. It can be measured using a tension meter or by calculating the force applied to the string based on its length and the amount of stretch.

Why is tension in the string important?

Tension in the string is important because it affects the behavior and performance of the string. It can determine the pitch and tone of a stringed instrument, the strength and stability of a suspension bridge, and the accuracy and precision of a scientific instrument.

What factors affect tension in the string?

The tension in a string can be affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the string, the length of the string, and the amount of force applied to the string. Temperature and humidity can also have an impact on the tension in a string.

How can tension in the string be adjusted?

Tension in the string can be adjusted by changing the length or thickness of the string, or by applying more or less force to the string. On some instruments, such as guitars, there are also mechanisms for adjusting the tension of individual strings.