1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in the String

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"What is the tension in the string?"

• .5kg block
    • Suspended at the midpoint of a 1.25m-long string
    • Ends of string attached to ceiling are 1m apart.

2. Relevant equations

cosθ, sinθ, tanθ

T[itex]_1[/itex][itex]_x[/itex]+T[itex]_2[/itex][itex]_x[/itex]+F[itex]_g[/itex][itex]_x[/itex]=ma[itex]_x[/itex]

T[itex]_1[/itex][itex]_y[/itex]+T[itex]_2[/itex][itex]_y[/itex]+F[itex]_g[/itex][itex]_y[/itex] = T[itex]_1[/itex][itex]_y[/itex]+T[itex]_2[/itex][itex]_y[/itex]- F[itex]_g[/itex] = ma[itex]_x[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

My homework is online and immediately verifies whether or not your answers are correct. I was able to solve that the angle the string makes with the ceiling is 36.87°.

From there, I attempted to solve for T[itex]_1[/itex] and T[itex]_2[/itex] as follows:

T[itex]_1[/itex][itex]_x[/itex]+T[itex]_2[/itex][itex]_x[/itex]+F[itex]_g[/itex][itex]_x[/itex]=ma[itex]_x[/itex].

⇔ T[itex]_1[/itex]cos(36.87°) - T[itex]_2[/itex]cos(36.87°) + 0 = 0 (since the force of gravity has no affect on the x-component of the tensions, and the object is not accelerating).

⇔ T[itex]_2[/itex] = T[itex]_1[/itex]cos(36.87°)/cos(36.87°) = T[itex]_1[/itex].

T[itex]_1[/itex][itex]_y[/itex]+T[itex]_2[/itex][itex]_y[/itex]+F[itex]_g[/itex][itex]_y[/itex]=0.

⇔ T[itex]_1[/itex]sin(36.87°) +T[itex]_2[/itex]sin(36.87°)=F[itex]_g[/itex]

⇔ 2T[itex]_1[/itex]sin(36.87°)=F[itex]_g[/itex]

Therefore,

⇔ T[itex]_1[/itex]=.5kg(9.8m/(s2))/(2*sin(36.87°)) = 4.083N.

I've used up all but one of my attempts. Maybe it's because I'm not understanding the wording of the problem. I used up two attempts by guessing T[itex]_1[/itex]+T[itex]_2[/itex] = 8.16/8.17 (I thought that it may be an issue with rounding).

Anyway, if someone could provide some input as to what the problem is asking, I would be extremely appreciative! And it would also be nice to have someone verify that my math and setup of this problem is correct. Thank you so much!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you just miss a zero. It is 4.083 N

ehild

4. Oct 9, 2012 #3
    Whoops, I think I actually did use 4.083 when I submitted my answer. Later in my post you see that I said that T[itex]_1[/itex]+T[itex]_2[/itex] equals 8.16/8.17, which is double 4.08.

Editing first post to reflect that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook