Tension of a particle problem

In summary, the problem involves a particle P of mass m suspended from two strings AP and BP attached to two points on a horizontal ceiling distance 5l/4 apart. AP is inelastic and of length l, while the modulus of elasticity of BP is λ. The natural length L is found to be L= 5λl/3mg+5λ. The problem is solved by considering the equilibrium of the mass attached at point P, where the vertical components of the tensions in AP and BP cancel out the weight acting downwards. The horizontal components of the tensions are also considered and used to establish a relation between the tensions in AP and BP. The length of AP, given as 3l/4, is a crucial piece
Dumbledore211

Homework Statement

A particle P of mass m is suspended from two strings AP and BP where A and B are attached to 2 points on a horizontal ceiling distance 5l/4 apart as shown in the figure. AP is inelastic and of length l. The modulus of elasticity of BP is λ. Show that the natural length L is given by L= 5λl/3mg+5λ

The Attempt at a Solution

Here the mass attached at the point P is in equilibrium which means that the vertical components of the tension caused in AP and BP nullify the weight acting downward. What I am finding difficult to grasp is the fact that the string AP is inelastic and rigid and how it's rigidity affects the tension since there will be no extension in AP. It would be really helpful if any of you could drop a hint as to how I can establish a relation between the tension of AP and that of BP and if they are equal by any chance?

Attachments

• Untitled222.png
    Untitled222.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 684
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dumbledore211! :smile:
Dumbledore211 said:
… the vertical components of the tension caused in AP and BP nullify the weight acting downward. What I am finding difficult to grasp is the fact that the string AP is inelastic and rigid and how it's rigidity affects the tension since there will be no extension in AP.

Nearly all strings and cables and beam that you come across will be inelastic, but they still have tension!

Remember that the horizontal components of the tensions will add to zero. :wink:

Likes gracy
@tiny-tim I kind of get what you are trying to put across. Here is how I have approached the problem...
T1= Tension caused in AP
T2= Tension caused in BP
Total Tension, T= T1+T2
Again the horizontal components of the two tensions
T1cosA- T2cosB=0
→ T1cosA=T2cosB
In case of the vertical components of the two tensions
T1sinA + T2sinB=mg
Is it safe to assume that ΔABP is a right-angled triangle?? Since the distance between the point A and B is 5l/4, AP is of length 3l/4 and BP is of length l. We can also assume that angle A=60degrees, B=30degrees and P=90degrees. Is my approach correct?

Okay, I have solved the problem. So, here it goes...
Since ΔABP is a right angled triangle so cos A= 3l/4X 4/5l = 3/5 and likewise cos B=4/5
So 3T1/5= 4T2/5
→ T1=4T2/3
Again for the vertical components sin A= 4/5 and sin B= 3/5
4T1/5 + 3T2/5=mg
→ 4T1 + 3T2= 5mg
→ 16T2 + 9T2/3=5mg
→ 25T2/3=5mg
→5T2=3mg
T2= Tension caused in BP
Here extension in BP is x= l-L
T2= λ(l-L)/L
→ 5(l-L)λ/L=3mg
→ 5λl-5λL=3mgL
→ 3mgL+5λL=5λl
→L=5λl/3mg+5λ

Dumbledore211 said:
@tiny-tim I kind of get what you are trying to put across. Here is how I have approached the problem...
T1= Tension caused in AP
T2= Tension caused in BP
Total Tension, T= T1+T2
Again the horizontal components of the two tensions
T1cosA- T2cosB=0
→ T1cosA=T2cosB
In case of the vertical components of the two tensions
T1sinA + T2sinB=mg

excellent :smile:

(except, i would omit "Total Tension, T= T1+T2" …

it isn't necessary, and you're using T1 and T2 to mean vectors even though everywhere else they're just numbers)
Is it safe to assume that ΔABP is a right-angled triangle?? Since the distance between the point A and B is 5l/4, AP is of length 3l/4 …

hold it! where does that come from (3l/4)? it's not in the question or the diagram :confused:

Likes gracy
@Tiny-tim Actually, I forgot to include the crucial piece of information which is the length of AP. In my M3 book the length of AP has been given as 3l/4. With this missing piece the solution to the whole problem just works out perfectly. Thank you Tiny-tim. Your help is greatly appreciated.

1. What is the definition of "tension" in a particle problem?

In a particle problem, tension refers to the force that is exerted on an object or particle when it is pulled or stretched. It is a type of contact force that acts along the length of a string, rope, or cable.

2. How do you calculate the tension in a particle problem?

To calculate the tension in a particle problem, you need to use Newton's second law of motion, which states that force (F) equals mass (m) multiplied by acceleration (a). In this case, the force is the tension, so the formula would be T = ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

3. What factors can affect the tension in a particle problem?

The tension in a particle problem can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the acceleration of the object, and the angle at which the force is applied. Additionally, the length and elasticity of the string or cable can also impact the tension.

4. Can the tension in a particle problem ever be negative?

No, the tension in a particle problem can never be negative. Tension is a type of force, and forces are always positive or zero. If the tension is in the opposite direction of the force causing it, it would simply be labeled as a negative force.

5. How does tension relate to equilibrium in a particle problem?

In a particle problem, equilibrium refers to a state where the net force on the object is zero. This means that all the forces acting on the object cancel each other out. In this case, the tension would be equal to the force pulling in the opposite direction, ensuring that the object remains in equilibrium.