1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor product over 3 (or more) vector spaces

1. Dec 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have the operators

##D_{\beta}:V_{\beta}\rightarrow V_{\beta}##
    ##R_{\beta\alpha 1}: V_{\beta} \otimes V_{\alpha 1} \rightarrow V_{\beta}\otimes V_{\alpha 1}##
    ##R_{\beta\alpha 2}: V_{\beta} \otimes V_{\alpha 2} \rightarrow V_{\beta}\otimes V_{\alpha 2}##

where each of the vector spaces are copies of ##\mathbb{C}^2##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I want to write the product ##D_{\beta}R_{\beta\alpha 1}R_{\beta\alpha 2}##, which makes sense on the space ##V_{\beta} \otimes V_{\alpha 1} \otimes V_{\alpha 2}##.

So I order to act on the full space I write ##D## as ##D_{\beta}\otimes I_{\alpha 1} \otimes I_{\alpha 2}##
    and write ##R_{\beta\alpha 1}## as ##R_{\beta\alpha 1} \otimes I_{\alpha 2}##, where ##I_{\alpha 1}## and ##I_{\alpha 2}## are the identity operators in ##V_{\alpha 1}## and ##V_{\alpha 2}##.

My problem is that I don't know how to write ##R_{\beta\alpha 2}## since I'd basically have to stick and identity "in the middle".

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2014 #2
  4. Dec 14, 2014 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

What is the statement of the problem?

5. Dec 15, 2014 #4
    There isn't any statement of the problem - it's something that I need for my Bachelor's thesis. However, I can provide some more detail. The operator ##T## is defined as ##D_{\beta}R_{\beta\alpha n}\dots R_{\beta\alpha 2}R_{\beta\alpha 1}##, where the D and R operators are defined as above.

It's equation (44) on page 8 of this paper http://arxiv.org/pdf/1204.2089v3.pdf

6. Dec 15, 2014 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Do you mean "I want to define a product..."?

I don't know what "makes sense" implies with respect to physics (because I don't understand the physics). Thinking only of mathematics, an attempt to refine the question could begin:

Roughly speaking, we want what [itex] R [/itex] does on [itex] V_\beta \otimes V_{\alpha_1} \otimes V_{\alpha_2} [/itex] to project to what [itex] R_{\beta \alpha_2} [/itex] does on [itex] V_\beta \otimes V_{\alpha_2} [/itex].

I don't know whether we are dealing with finite dimensional vectors spaces. Perhaps we are only dealing with linear operators. Perhaps you need to express the operator [itex] R [/itex] explicitly as a product of matrices or tensor product of operators.

In finite dimensions, you can find an embedding operation [itex] E: V_\beta \otimes V_{\alpha_2} \rightarrow V_\beta \otimes V_{\alpha_1} \otimes V_{\alpha 2} [/itex] and a projection operation [itex] P: V_\beta \otimes V_{\alpha_1} \otimes V_{\alpha 2} \rightarrow V_\beta \otimes V_{\alpha_2}[/itex] and define [itex] R = E R_{\beta \alpha_2} P [/itex]

If the mathematical requirements aren't specific then I'd say this isn't a "homework type problem". You'd could ask about it in the physics sections of the forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted