Tensor products and tensor algebras

• Thread starter asub
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi all,

What is a good introductory book on tensor products and tensor algebras? For motivation, I have found Tom Coates's http://www.math.harvard.edu/~tomc/math25/tensor.pdf" [Broken] to be quite helpful, but I would like to do see some examples and do problems to understand it more thoroughly.

My main aim is to be able to construct Clifford algebras by taking quotient of tensor algebras. I have become able to construct Clifford algebras using exterior products (the way Clifford did it) and quadratic spaces. But understanding tensor algebras and using them to create Clifford algebras seems impregnable.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My main aim is to be able to construct Clifford algebras by taking quotient of tensor algebras.
Let [itex]V[/itex] be a finite-dimensional vector space over [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]g: V \times V \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] be a non-degenerate bilinear form. Form the the tensor algebra

[tex] T = \mathbb{R} \oplus V \oplus V \otimes V \oplus V \oplus V \otimes V \otimes V \oplus ...[/itex]

and generate an ideal [itex]I[/itex] from [itex]g \left( v , v \right) - v \otimes v[/itex]. Then, the universal Clifford algebra is [itex]T/I.[/itex]

I have become able to construct Clifford algebras using exterior products (the way Clifford did it) and quadratic spaces. But understanding tensor algebras and using them to create Clifford algebras seems impregnable.

Thanks.
Try the second edition (1978) of Multilinear Algebra by Greub.

Last edited: