Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor products and tensor algebras

1. Mar 20, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

What is a good introductory book on tensor products and tensor algebras? For motivation, I have found Tom Coates's lecture note to be quite helpful, but I would like to do see some examples and do problems to understand it more thoroughly.

My main aim is to be able to construct Clifford algebras by taking quotient of tensor algebras. I have become able to construct Clifford algebras using exterior products (the way Clifford did it) and quadratic spaces. But understanding tensor algebras and using them to create Clifford algebras seems impregnable.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2007 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let [itex]V[/itex] be a finite-dimensional vector space over [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]g: V \times V \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] be a non-degenerate bilinear form. Form the the tensor algebra

[tex] T = \mathbb{R} \oplus V \oplus V \otimes V \oplus V \oplus V \otimes V \otimes V \oplus ...[/itex]

and generate an ideal [itex]I[/itex] from [itex]g \left( v , v \right) - v \otimes v[/itex]. Then, the universal Clifford algebra is [itex]T/I.[/itex]

Try the second edition (1978) of Multilinear Algebra by Greub.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?