Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensorial Calculation and antisymmetric tensors

1. Jun 27, 2012 #1
    Hi Friends
    I am reading the following paper
    http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9705122
    In the page 4 he says that

[itex]\tilde{W}_{\mu\nu}=0\Rightarrow V_{\mu}=\partial_{\mu}\lambda[/itex]

Where [itex]\tilde{W}^{\mu\nu}\equiv\frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{\mu \nu\rho\sigma}W_{\rho\sigma}[/itex] and [itex]W_{\mu\nu}\equiv\partial_{[\mu}V_{\nu]} [/itex] and [itex] \epsilon [/itex] is antisymmetric Levi-Civita tensor.

The above expression is a general argument and it is not related to the paper. I can not understand how can we drive [itex]V_{\mu}=\partial_{\mu}\lambda[/itex] from [itex]\tilde{W}_{\mu\nu}=0 [/itex]
    Would someone please explain it for me

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2
    Are you sure it doesn't say
    [tex]
    \partial_{\nu} \tilde{W}^{\mu \nu} = 0
    [/tex]
    ?

EDIT:

Oh, sorry, I saw that there is a V and a W, and the W is the anti-symmetrized derivative.

Do you know Stokes' theorem in 4-dimensional space-time?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  4. Jun 27, 2012 #3
    Yes, I am sure. :( You can check it in the mentioned paper.

5. Jun 27, 2012 #4
    Unfortunately I do not know. Is it related to Stokes's theorem?

6. Jun 27, 2012 #5
    First of all, there is a one-to-one correspondence between [itex]\tilde{W}_{\mu \nu}[/itex], and [itex]W_{\mu \nu}[/itex]. You just showed how to find [itex]\tilde{W}[/itex] if you know W. But:
    [tex]
    \epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \pi} \, \tilde{W}_{\rho \pi} = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \pi} \, \epsilon_{\rho \pi \sigma \tau} \, W^{\sigma \tau} = -\left(\delta^{\mu}_{\sigma} \, \delta^{\nu}_{\tau} - \delta^{\mu}_{\tau} \, \delta^{\nu}_{\sigma} \right) \, W^{\sigma \tau} = -W^{\mu \nu} + W^{\nu \mu} = -2 \, W^{\mu \nu}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    W^{\mu \nu} = -\frac{1}{2} \, \epsilon^{\mu \nu \rho \pi} \, \tilde{W}_{\rho \pi}
    [/tex]

Therefore, if you say [itex]\tilde{W}_{\mu \nu} = 0[/itex], then, so is [itex]W_{\mu \nu} = 0[/itex].

7. Jun 27, 2012 #6
    Then, you will have:
    [tex]
    \partial_{\mu} V_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu} V_{\mu} = 0
    [/tex]

Integrate this over an arbitrary 2-dimensional surface with an element [itex]df^{\mu \nu} = -df^{\nu \mu}[/itex], and convert it to a line integral over the boundary of the surface. You should get:
    [tex]
    \oint{V_{\mu} \, dx^{\mu}} = 0
    [/tex]

Do you know what this means?

8. Jun 27, 2012 #7
    Thanks! Now I got it. When [itex]W_{\mu \nu} =0[/itex] means [itex]\partial_\mu V_{\nu} -\partial_{\nu}V_{\mu}=0[/itex]. So for having this expression we must suppose that [itex]V_{\mu} =\partial_\mu\lambda[/itex] where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a scalar. Because we can change order of derivations [itex]\partial_{\mu}, \partial_{\nu}[/itex]. Is it correct?

9. Jun 27, 2012 #8
    Would you please explain more about the integral? It seems interesting.

10. Jun 27, 2012 #9
    No, what you are proving is that [itex]W_{\mu \nu} = 0[/itex] is a necessary condition for [itex]V_{\mu} = \partial_{\mu} \lambda[/itex], which I though is trivial to show (because derivatives commute). But, I was trying to point out that it is also a sufficient condition. Well, locally at least (see Poincare's Lemma).

11. Jun 27, 2012 #10
    Dear Dickfore, I am really poor on Topology and such kinds of mathematics. Recently I decided to begin studying this topics. Can you please suggest me some good textbooks for self-study. I am thinking about 3rd edition of Frankle's book: "Geometry of Physics".

12. Jun 27, 2012 #11
    i don't know what to recommend, sorry.

13. Jun 27, 2012 #12
    Thank you again for your help, my friend!

14. Jun 28, 2012 #13

haushofer

Science Advisor

Frankle is nice, Nakahara is also very good for selfstudy; at least the chapters untill Fibre Bundles. After that it becomes a bit wuzzy.

15. Jun 28, 2012 #14
    Thanks Haushofer! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook