Term for mirror image sides shift

Homework Statement

I've done physic in a non-english medium and I want to know what is the technical term to call the incident where the image is flipped vertical through a mirror. I mean if we stand infront of a mirror and raise the right arm, the mirror image shows we're raising the left arm. What is this incident called?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

in my language it's called 'Parshvika apawarthanaya'
somehow translated to English, it's like 'Partial ...'

Attachments

• Mirror.jpg
    Mirror.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 364

Answers and Replies

Thanks! But that's not what i'm looking for! :( something like 'flipping sides'??

My language is 'Sinhala'. Google doesn't support! Not that point reflection either! :( I'm asking when looking through a mirror, sides are flipped right? What is the physics term for that incident?

Like, "Bending of light rays when passing through a surface between one transparent material and another, is called Refraction

The technical term for that is "reflection": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_(mathematics [Broken]).

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious3141
Homework Helper
Do you mean "lateral inversion"? The adjective form is "laterally inverted".

Homework Statement

I've done physic in a non-english medium and I want to know what is the technical term to call the incident where the image is flipped vertical through a mirror. I mean if we stand infront of a mirror and raise the right arm, the mirror image shows we're raising the left arm. What is this incident called?

This is termed as "left-right reversal"