Term for mirror image sides shift

In summary: It is also referred to as "reflection" in mathematics. In Sinhala, it is called "Parshvika apawarthanaya", which translates to "partial reflection". However, in English, it is more commonly known as "reflection".
Knightycloud

Homework Statement

I've done physics in a non-english medium and I want to know what is the technical term to call the incident where the image is flipped vertical through a mirror. I mean if we stand infront of a mirror and raise the right arm, the mirror image shows we're raising the left arm. What is this incident called?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

in my language it's called 'Parshvika apawarthanaya'
somehow translated to English, it's like 'Partial ...'

Attachments

• Mirror.jpg
    Mirror.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks! But that's not what I'm looking for! :( something like 'flipping sides'??

My language is 'Sinhala'. Google doesn't support! Not that point reflection either! :( I'm asking when looking through a mirror, sides are flipped right? What is the physics term for that incident?

Like, "Bending of light rays when passing through a surface between one transparent material and another, is called Refraction

The technical term for that is "reflection": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_(mathematics ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean "lateral inversion"? The adjective form is "laterally inverted".

Knightycloud said:

Homework Statement

I've done physics in a non-english medium and I want to know what is the technical term to call the incident where the image is flipped vertical through a mirror. I mean if we stand infront of a mirror and raise the right arm, the mirror image shows we're raising the left arm. What is this incident called?

This is termed as "left-right reversal"

1. What is the term for mirror image sides shift?

The term for mirror image sides shift is called "reflection". This is when an object or image is flipped over a line, such as a mirror, and the image appears as a mirror image of the original.

2. How does reflection occur?

Reflection occurs when light rays bounce off a smooth or shiny surface, such as a mirror, and change direction. This change in direction creates a mirror image of the original object or image.

3. What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection is when light bounces off a surface, while refraction is when light passes through a substance and changes direction. Reflection creates a mirror image, while refraction can distort or change the appearance of an object or image.

4. What are some real-life examples of reflection?

Some examples of reflection in everyday life include looking at yourself in the mirror, seeing your reflection in a calm body of water, and seeing your reflection in a shiny car or window. Reflection is also used in telescopes, microscopes, and other optical instruments.

5. How is reflection used in science and technology?

Reflection is used in many scientific and technological applications. For example, it is used in mirrors, lenses, and other optical devices to manipulate and direct light. It is also used in photography, laser technology, and in creating images on computer screens.