1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Term for mirror image sides shift

  1. Mar 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've done physic in a non-english medium and I want to know what is the technical term to call the incident where the image is flipped vertical through a mirror. I mean if we stand infront of a mirror and raise the right arm, the mirror image shows we're raising the left arm. What is this incident called?

    2. Relevant equations

    3. The attempt at a solution
    in my language it's called 'Parshvika apawarthanaya'
    somehow translated to English, it's like 'Partial ...'

    Attached Files:

  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2014 #2
  4. Mar 4, 2014 #3
    Thanks! But that's not what i'm looking for! :( something like 'flipping sides'??
  5. Mar 4, 2014 #4
  6. Mar 4, 2014 #5
    My language is 'Sinhala'. Google doesn't support! Not that point reflection either! :( I'm asking when looking through a mirror, sides are flipped right? What is the physics term for that incident?

    Like, "Bending of light rays when passing through a surface between one transparent material and another, is called Refraction
  7. Mar 4, 2014 #6
    The technical term for that is "reflection": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_(mathematics [Broken]).
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  8. Mar 4, 2014 #7


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper

    Do you mean "lateral inversion"? The adjective form is "laterally inverted".
  9. Mar 5, 2014 #8
    This is termed as "left-right reversal"
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted