Tesla Turbine, possible variation

In summary, the author observed that turning a bench grinder on can throw a lot of entrained air out of the wire wheel, and that this could be a danger to the flywheel. He also suggests that a turbine with a low rpm spinning wheel might be a better alternative.
RonL
Gold Member
Tesla Turbine, variation

Just an observation from my shop a couple of weeks ago. Something I have done a few thousand times in my life, and for the first time took notice of what was happening.

Turning the switch of my bench grinder on, the need to use the wire wheel for cleaning a small part, I noticed the large amount of entrained air that was being thrown from the wheel and the thought came to mind of the thread "Tesla Turbine Efficiency" where the question about water in steam doing damage to a disc turbine.
With great care, the hand can feel the actual flow pattern of the air as it is being pulled into the side of the safety cover plate, and then thrown with quit a bit of force from the outer diameter of the wheel, the wire wheel has an open exposeure of about 1/3 of it's diameter.

Danger from flywheel explosion would be reduced, and several wheels on a shaft can be driven by steam or high pressure air. With care in design, all the actions/reactions of a typical Tesla Turbine can be observed.

Just a thought for any of the active turbine builders to think about or test in their shops or labs.
A specific wire wheel designed for the application would be best, but the use of off the shelf items can work.

Don't be shy with questions or comments.:smile: I can always run and hide:eek:

Ron

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The biggest problem I can see with this is that most wire wheels can't spin more then 12k rpm before they disintegrate, and you lose wires as the wheel is spinning. It looks like most Tesla turbines are in the 20k - 50k range. Also with losing the wires you would have to replace the wheel where with the turbine you would not have to.

These are just two potential problems I see cropping up. However for a low rpm turbine it might be a good alternative.

Argentum Vulpes said:
The biggest problem I can see with this is that most wire wheels can't spin more then 12k rpm before they disintegrate, and you lose wires as the wheel is spinning. It looks like most Tesla turbines are in the 20k - 50k range. Also with losing the wires you would have to replace the wheel where with the turbine you would not have to.

These are just two potential problems I see cropping up. However for a low rpm turbine it might be a good alternative.

Thanks for your input,
Your right, in regards to, what is standard trends of thought.
The observation made was on a 8" wheel, turning about 3600 RPM, and yes I have picked a lot of wire pieces out of my skin over the years, this is in general because of how rough I have been using the wheel.

I get real nervous around anything spinning faster than 10K, however I do have one wheel of special interest, and that is one with several twisted wires, forming a shaft of about 1/4" and at the tip the individual wires extend out in a slight flare pattern, there are 56 of these and they make up an almost solid 6" wheel, I think it was rated at around 12.5K.

A regular wire wheel is generally considered a cleaning or polishing tool, the thought of safety in the rotating mass, plus the large mass of air affected, caused this line of thinking to really stand out.
My thoughts tend to lean in the direction of larger mass air flow at lower pressures, and generate a colder discharge.

Guess I better quit at that.:smile:

Ron

1. What is a Tesla Turbine?

A Tesla Turbine is a type of turbine that was invented by Nikola Tesla in the early 20th century. It uses smooth, closely spaced discs instead of traditional blades to create a rotary motion.

2. How does a Tesla Turbine work?

A Tesla Turbine works by using the boundary layer effect to create a vortex of air or fluid between the discs. This vortex then causes the discs to spin, creating rotational energy that can be harnessed for various applications.

3. What are the possible variations of a Tesla Turbine?

Some possible variations of a Tesla Turbine include using different materials for the discs, changing the spacing between discs, and altering the size and shape of the discs. Other variations can also include incorporating multiple stages or using different types of fluids or gases to drive the turbine.

4. What are the advantages of using a Tesla Turbine?

Compared to traditional turbines, a Tesla Turbine has several advantages, including being more compact, having a simpler design, and being more efficient at low speeds. It also has the potential for use in a wide range of applications, from power generation to propulsion systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Tesla Turbine?

One major limitation of a Tesla Turbine is its relatively low power output compared to other types of turbines. It also requires precise engineering and alignment of the discs, which can be challenging and costly. Additionally, it may not be suitable for high-pressure applications due to the potential for disc failure.