Testing if real-valued expressions are negative

In summary, Richardson's 1967 paper showed that it is impossible to decide whether a one-variable subelementary expression is negative, which contrasts with Tarski's result on real closed fields. Many papers have built on this work, including Laczkovich's recent result which removes constants and reduces composition. However, the problem of deciding whether a subelementary expression with no variables represents a negative number remains unsolved. There is currently no known method for solving this problem and it remains an open question. Additionally, there is no survey paper available on this topic. Some progress has been made in narrowing down the types of expressions that can be used, but the zero-variable case still remains a challenge.
CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
In his famous (but unknown to me until recently) 1967 paper,* Richardson showed that the problem of deciding whether a one-variable subelementary expression (an expression involving +, -, *, exp, sin, composition, the constants log 2, pi, and all rational numbers, plus variables x_i) is negative is undecidable. This is a counterpoint to Tarski's decidability result on real closed fields (+, *, =, <).

Many papers have improved on these results in some direction or another. In particular, I was wondering if anyone knew whether this (once?-)unsolved problem mentioned in the paper has been solved:
No method is known for deciding whether a subelementary expression with no variables in it represents a number less than zero. Whether or not such a method exists is an open question.

Also, is there a good survey paper on this sort of work? There is a recent result of Laczkovich that generalizes Richardson (via Wang) by removing constants and substantially reducing composition, but I haven't seen anything remove the variable.

* Daniel Richardson, "Some undecidable problems involving elementary functions of a real variable", Journal of Symbolic Logic 33:4 (1968), pp. 514-520.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Starting to read the Laczkovich paper, I see that he narrows the gap for single-variable expressions substantially: using only [itex]x,\sin x^n,\sin(x\sin x^n)[/itex], addition, and multiplication (composition only on the latter two) and the integers as constants* one obtains an undecidable theory. Replacing [itex]\sin(x\sin x^n)[/itex] with [itex]\cos x^n[/itex] yields a decidable theory.

But I still haven't found anything on the zero-variable case.

* Removing the use of log 2, pi, and noninteger rationals. Actually this can be reduced further to just -1.

1. How do you test if a real-valued expression is negative?

To test if a real-valued expression is negative, you can simply evaluate the expression and check if the result is less than 0. If the result is less than 0, then the expression is negative.

2. What type of real-valued expressions can be tested for negativity?

Any expression that involves real numbers, such as equations, inequalities, and functions, can be tested for negativity. This includes both simple expressions, like -5, and more complex expressions, like x^2 - 3.

3. Can real-valued expressions with variables be tested for negativity?

Yes, expressions with variables can also be tested for negativity. You can either plug in different values for the variable and evaluate the expression, or use algebraic techniques to determine when the expression will be negative.

4. How can I use a calculator to test if a real-valued expression is negative?

Most scientific or graphing calculators have the ability to evaluate expressions and determine if they are negative. Simply enter the expression, and if the result is less than 0, then the expression is negative.

5. Why is it important to test if real-valued expressions are negative?

Testing for negativity is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of an expression. Knowing if an expression is negative can help us make decisions in a variety of fields, such as finance, economics, and physics. It also allows us to solve equations and inequalities, and analyze the graphs of functions.