1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing if real-valued expressions are negative

1. Apr 5, 2009 #1

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In his famous (but unknown to me until recently) 1967 paper,* Richardson showed that the problem of deciding whether a one-variable subelementary expression (an expression involving +, -, *, exp, sin, composition, the constants log 2, pi, and all rational numbers, plus variables x_i) is negative is undecidable. This is a counterpoint to Tarski's decidability result on real closed fields (+, *, =, <).

Many papers have improved on these results in some direction or another. In particular, I was wondering if anyone knew whether this (once?-)unsolved problem mentioned in the paper has been solved:
    Also, is there a good survey paper on this sort of work? There is a recent result of Laczkovich that generalizes Richardson (via Wang) by removing constants and substantially reducing composition, but I haven't seen anything remove the variable.

* Daniel Richardson, "Some undecidable problems involving elementary functions of a real variable", Journal of Symbolic Logic 33:4 (1968), pp. 514-520.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Starting to read the Laczkovich paper, I see that he narrows the gap for single-variable expressions substantially: using only [itex]x,\sin x^n,\sin(x\sin x^n)[/itex], addition, and multiplication (composition only on the latter two) and the integers as constants* one obtains an undecidable theory. Replacing [itex]\sin(x\sin x^n)[/itex] with [itex]\cos x^n[/itex] yields a decidable theory.

But I still haven't found anything on the zero-variable case.

* Removing the use of log 2, pi, and noninteger rationals. Actually this can be reduced further to just -1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook