Solving Tetherball Problem: Find Tension & Angle θ

• Thread starter ybgl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the tension and angle required to whirl a .3 kg ball attached to a 50.0 cm string, which completes 2 circles per second. The equations Ftcosθ = Mg and mv^2/r = ftsinθ are provided, but the radius cannot be determined without knowing the angle. The solution involves solving for the unknowns using algebra and substituting in values for r and v using the given constraints.
ybgl

Homework Statement

A .3 kg ball is attached to a string that is 50.0 cm in length, and completes 2 circles every second. Find the tension required to whirl the ball with the given constraints and also find the angle θ

2. The attempt at a solution
I only have that Ftcosθ = Mg and that mv^2/r = ftsinθ
I don't know where to go from there since all I have is the length and mass because to find the radius it is r=Lsinθ which I cannot find without θ...

Physics news on Phys.org
ybgl said:

Homework Statement

A .3 kg ball is attached to a string that is 50.0 cm in length, and completes 2 circles every second. Find the tension required to whirl the ball with the given constraints and also find the angle θ

2. The attempt at a solution
I only have that Ftcosθ = Mg and that mv^2/r = ftsinθ
I don't know where to go from there since all I have is the length and mass because to find the radius it is r=Lsinθ which I cannot find without θ...
Welcome to PF!

This is just an algebra problem now. You have done the physics!

2 equations. 2 unknowns. Solve. Hint: try dividing the two equations.

AM

Last edited:
I have tried, it gives me (g)(r)sinθ/cosθ=v^2 which is 3 unknowns since I don't know radius, velocity, or θ

ybgl said:
I have tried, it gives me (g)(r)sinθ/cosθ=v^2 which is 3 unknowns since I don't know radius, velocity, or θ
You can work out r from L and θ. θ is the downward angle that the tether makes as measured from the horizontal, so r = Lcosθ. Just substitute into your equation.

v can be determined from the period and radius. Or you can just use mω2r for centripetal force.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
You can work out r from L and θ. θ is the downward angle that the tether makes as measured from the horizontal, so r = Lcosθ. Just substitute into your equation.

v can be determined from the period and radius. Or you can just use mω2r for centripetal force.

AM
And where do the solution go from here .Kind of stuck somewhere

Welcome to PF, @Lesleyanne :smile:

This thread is over 8 years old, so it's best if you start a new thread here in the Homework Help, Introductory Physics forum and show your work on your problem. That's the best way to get tutorial help with your schoolwork here. Thanks.

What is the Tetherball Problem?

The Tetherball Problem refers to the situation in which a tetherball is suspended from a fixed point by a rope or tether. The problem involves determining the tension in the tether and the angle at which the tetherball is suspended.

Why is it important to solve the Tetherball Problem?

Solving the Tetherball Problem is important for understanding the forces acting on the tetherball and the stability of the system. It is also useful for designing and constructing tetherball poles and equipment.

What factors affect the tension and angle in the Tetherball Problem?

The tension and angle in the Tetherball Problem are affected by the weight of the tetherball, the length and stiffness of the tether, and any external forces acting on the system, such as wind or human interaction.

What methods can be used to solve the Tetherball Problem?

There are several methods that can be used to solve the Tetherball Problem, including trigonometric equations, vector analysis, and free body diagrams. Each method has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain situations.

What are some real-life applications of the Tetherball Problem?

The Tetherball Problem has practical applications in engineering, physics, and sports. It can be used to analyze the stability and forces in suspension systems, such as bridges and cranes, as well as in designing and improving sports equipment, such as tetherball poles and ropes.