Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tex on my Macintosh.

1. Sep 24, 2007 #1
    Okay, I started doing some reading about getting Tex for my mac. I don't need anything fancy, in fact the tex tool that you guys use at this online forum has everything that I need.

I'd like to be able to type up and print short homework assignments. I'm not at the level where I need to compose big fancy research papers.

So I found this "all in one" tex package and downloaded it, but it's too large for my hard drive. It needs 1GB of space. I only have about 200MB of free space. (My computer is old and I am poor)

Since Tex is simple enough to run in a web-based forum why can't I find something smaller?

Is there a web-based editor?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2

D H

Staff: Mentor

TeXShop needs but 33 MB, installed. That should leave more than enough room for the download size plus the installed size.
  4. Sep 24, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That must inlcude a lot of fonts and a complicated gui editor.
    Tex is small - it was written when hard drives were in kilobytes.
    I don't use mac but there are lots of tex for mac pages on google.

Remember all you need is.
    The tex (or preferably latex engine), some fonts, a viewer
    You might not even need the viewer if you use tex->pdf and have a pdf viewer.
  5. Sep 24, 2007 #4
    Use i-installer: http://ii2.sourceforge.net/ . All you need to have a working (La)TeX installation is to install gwTeX (the one based on TeX Live; teTeX is deprecated). Then, if you want, you can install a (La)TeX editor. Warning: TeX Live is still pretty large (210 MB), so you will want to free up some disk space if you can.

I think you downloaded MacTeX ( http://www.tug.org/mactex/ ), which is i-installer plus every LaTeX editor, spellchecker, BibTeX front end, and LaTeX package under the sun. The compressed disk image is something like 750 MB, so it's no surprise that I would take 1 GB to install it all.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?