Getting Tex on My Macintosh: Web-Based Editors & Alternatives

• Thread starter futurebird
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is looking for a smaller tex package that he can use online for his short homework assignments. He does not need anything fancy and is only looking for a small editor.
futurebird
Okay, I started doing some reading about getting Tex for my mac. I don't need anything fancy, in fact the tex tool that you guys use at this online forum has everything that I need.

I'd like to be able to type up and print short homework assignments. I'm not at the level where I need to compose big fancy research papers.

So I found this "all in one" tex package and downloaded it, but it's too large for my hard drive. It needs 1GB of space. I only have about 200MB of free space. (My computer is old and I am poor)

Since Tex is simple enough to run in a web-based forum why can't I find something smaller?

Is there a web-based editor?

Computer science news on Phys.org
TeXShop needs but 33 MB, installed. That should leave more than enough room for the download size plus the installed size.

That must inlcude a lot of fonts and a complicated gui editor.
Tex is small - it was written when hard drives were in kilobytes.
I don't use mac but there are lots of tex for mac pages on google.

Remember all you need is.
The tex (or preferably latex engine), some fonts, a viewer
You might not even need the viewer if you use tex->pdf and have a pdf viewer.

Use i-installer: http://ii2.sourceforge.net/ . All you need to have a working (La)TeX installation is to install gwTeX (the one based on TeX Live; teTeX is deprecated). Then, if you want, you can install a (La)TeX editor. Warning: TeX Live is still pretty large (210 MB), so you will want to free up some disk space if you can.

I think you downloaded MacTeX ( http://www.tug.org/mactex/ ), which is i-installer plus every LaTeX editor, spellchecker, BibTeX front end, and LaTeX package under the sun. The compressed disk image is something like 750 MB, so it's no surprise that I would take 1 GB to install it all.

What is the best web-based editor for Tex on Macintosh?

The best web-based editor for Tex on Macintosh is Overleaf. It is a popular choice among users due to its user-friendly interface, real-time collaboration features, and extensive library of templates and examples.

Can I use Tex on my Macintosh without installing any software?

Yes, there are a few web-based alternatives to Tex editors that do not require any installation on your Macintosh. Overleaf, ShareLaTeX, and Verbosus are some examples of such editors.

Is it possible to collaborate on a Tex document with others using a web-based editor on Macintosh?

Yes, most web-based Tex editors offer real-time collaboration features that allow multiple users to work on the same document simultaneously. Examples of such editors include Overleaf, ShareLaTeX, and Authorea.

Are there any free web-based editors for Tex on Macintosh?

Yes, there are several free options for web-based Tex editors on Macintosh, including Overleaf, ShareLaTeX, and Verbosus. However, some of these editors may have limitations on features or storage space for free accounts.

Are there any offline Tex editors available for Macintosh?

Yes, there are several offline Tex editors available for Macintosh, such as TeXShop, TeXstudio, and TeXworks. These editors require installation on your computer but offer more advanced features and customization options compared to web-based editors.