Textbook on Planetary Formation/Gas Giants

In summary, the speaker is a new member looking for a textbook to aid their understanding of gas giant formation and the formation of a rocky core. They have searched for similar books but have been unsuccessful in finding one. They mention that geology and geophysics books are not relevant to their topic and suggest looking for books on planetary formation instead. They apologize for any misunderstandings and end the conversation.
FlashGordy
Hi there,

I'm kinda new here, I did a search for similar things and couldn't get anything concrete.

I'm starting my Undergrad Project in January, and its on Gas Giant Formation. It involves running lots of code to see how particles in an accretion disk apply themselves to a previously formed "rocky core".

I don't have to worry too much about how the core is formed, but for my literary review/background, I was looking for a textbook that would go through a lot of this. I've looked at Geophysics books and Geology books too but nothing stuck out. I found what looked like a good bet on Amazon, but no library in Britain has it apparently.

Look Forward to hearing your replies.

Gordon

Physics news on Phys.org
It's late and I might have misunderstood, but you're looking for a book to aid your understanding on gas-giant formation (as well as formation of the 'rocky core')?

If so, books on geology and geophysics aren't going to be useful at all, geology is the study of matter that makes up the Earth (i.e. rocks) and geophysics is the study of the Earth in a quantitive way, measuring effects and deducing properties etc. (and, clearly, the Earth is neither a 'rocky-core' involved in the making of a gas-giant, or a gas giant itself)

I would suggest your best bet is to find some books about planetary formation in general, maybe start of with some basic models on the formation of the Solar System so you can get a feel for what is happening - books on both topics should be in abundance at any good University library.

That said, if I've misunderstood, i apologize, I'm now going to sleep.

Hi Gordon,

It's great to hear that you are starting your Undergrad Project on Gas Giant Formation. It's a fascinating topic and there is still much to be discovered and understood about this process. As for finding a textbook that covers the subject in depth, I can recommend a few options for you to consider.

Firstly, I would suggest checking out "Planetary Science: The Science of Planets Around Stars" by George Ricker and Daniel Fischer. This textbook covers a wide range of topics related to planetary formation, including gas giants, and is a popular choice among students and researchers in the field.

Another option is "Formation of the Solar System: A New Theory of the Creation and Decay of the Celestial Bodies" by Michael Woolfson. This book delves into the formation of gas giants and other planets in our solar system, providing a comprehensive overview of the current theories and research in the field.

You may also want to take a look at "The Formation and Evolution of Planetary Systems" by Philip J. Armitage. This textbook covers various topics related to planetary formation, including the formation of gas giants, and is a great resource for students and researchers alike.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and that you are able to find the information you need for your project. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the current theory on how gas giants form?

The current theory on gas giant formation is the core accretion model. This model suggests that gas giants form from a solid core of ice and rock, which then attracts and accumulates gas from the surrounding disk of gas and dust in a process called accretion.

2. How do gas giants differ from terrestrial planets?

Gas giants are significantly larger than terrestrial planets and have much thicker atmospheres composed mainly of hydrogen and helium. They also lack a solid surface and have a lower average density due to their gaseous composition.

3. What role do gas giants play in the formation of planetary systems?

Gas giants are thought to play a crucial role in the formation of planetary systems. Their large size and strong gravitational pull can influence the orbits of smaller planets and debris, shaping the overall structure of the system.

4. What is the significance of studying gas giants?

Studying gas giants can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of our own solar system and other planetary systems. They also offer a unique opportunity to study extreme environments and the physical processes at work in these massive planets.

5. How do scientists detect and study gas giants in other planetary systems?

Scientists use various methods to detect and study gas giants in other planetary systems, including radial velocity measurements, transit observations, and direct imaging. These techniques allow researchers to gather data on the composition, size, and orbit of these planets.