Textbook recommendations for a high school math student

In summary, the conversation focused on finding textbooks for A-level mathematics that not only teach content but also have detailed explanations and focus on proofs rather than memorization. Suggestions included Bostock and Chandler's series, Gelfand's books, Allendoefer and Oakley's "Principles of Mathematics," and Lang's "Basic Mathematics" for pre-calculus. For calculus, Lang's "A First Course in Calculus" and Spivak's "Calculus" were recommended, with additional resources for proof writing such as "How To Prove It" and "Naive Set Theory." It was also mentioned that having a teacher and familiarity with proof writing can be helpful in tackling these texts. The conversation ended with a suggested
AsherA123
My brother is currently doing his AS/A-Levels (11th - 12th grade) for maths and further maths. However he is unsatisfied with his textbooks as they focus purely on memorisation and don't really explain the mathematics behind concepts. He wants textbooks that not only teach the content but also have detailed explanations and focus on the proofs instead of the memorisation of facts. He doesn't mind if the textbooks contain university content, he doesn't even mind if they are university textbooks! Here is all the content he needs to learn:

http://oi59.tinypic.com/xqc66f.jpg
http://oi61.tinypic.com/29erh9f.jpg
http://oi61.tinypic.com/k0g481.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
For A-level mathematics one cannot go far wrong with the series of books by Bostock and Chandler, though they were written for a slightly older and tougher specification. If I remember correctly they contain most if not all of the content needed for current A-Level Maths plus extra. Other options include the series of books by Gelfand on mathematics, which whilst accessible by GCSE students are still pleasant reads even for those at the A-level standard. Allendoefer and Oakley also have a text called "Principles of Mathematics" which doesn't perfectly align with the A-level specification, but that which it does cover it does an excellent job on. There are a large number of pre-calculus books in the US which have a lot of overlap with the non-calculus part of maths A-level, however I am not too familiar with these, although I have heard both Sullivan and Axler have written reasonably good texts. My final suggestion that excludes Calculus will be Basic Mathematics by Lang, which is in my opinion the most stretching of the books I have listed and more akin to a University level course in "pre-calculus" topics. Beyond this I feel Spivak's calculus is an excellent book for stretching talented students whilst also blending rather well with some of the pure and further A-level modules. Be warned though, if it is his first exposure to rigorous University style maths it may prove discouragingly difficult. It is helpful to have a teacher on hand for guidance in some parts, and I would also suggest that he read up on writing and constructing proofs if he does not have prior familiarity with this, to this end both How To Prove It by Velleman and Naive Set Theory by Halmos are very useful. Working through Lang's Basic Mathematics would also be good preparation for a text like Spivak. I personally elected to work through another of Lang's books, A First Course in Calculus, before approaching Spivak as I feel it can help to have a handle on some of the material first, there is certainly no shame in doing so as Spivak's text has oft been called more of an introduction to analysis than calculus, thus that book is another recommendation from me. Hopefully that should give your brother a fair selection of texts to examine and pick from. ;)

My overall suggested list:

A-level syllabus: Bostock and Chandler.
Rigorous Pre-calculus: Basic Mathematics by Lang.
Calculus: A First Course in Calculus by Lang.
Proof Writing: How To Prove it by Velleman and Naive Set Theory by Halmos.
Rigorous Calculus (essentially analysis): Calculus by Spivak.

IDValour said:
For A-level mathematics one cannot go far wrong with the series of books by Bostock and Chandler, though they were written for a slightly older and tougher specification. If I remember correctly they contain most if not all of the content needed for current A-Level Maths plus extra. Other options include the series of books by Gelfand on mathematics, which whilst accessible by GCSE students are still pleasant reads even for those at the A-level standard. Allendoefer and Oakley also have a text called "Principles of Mathematics" which doesn't perfectly align with the A-level specification, but that which it does cover it does an excellent job on. There are a large number of pre-calculus books in the US which have a lot of overlap with the non-calculus part of maths A-level, however I am not too familiar with these, although I have heard both Sullivan and Axler have written reasonably good texts. My final suggestion that excludes Calculus will be Basic Mathematics by Lang, which is in my opinion the most stretching of the books I have listed and more akin to a University level course in "pre-calculus" topics. Beyond this I feel Spivak's calculus is an excellent book for stretching talented students whilst also blending rather well with some of the pure and further A-level modules. Be warned though, if it is his first exposure to rigorous University style maths it may prove discouragingly difficult. It is helpful to have a teacher on hand for guidance in some parts, and I would also suggest that he read up on writing and constructing proofs if he does not have prior familiarity with this, to this end both How To Prove It by Velleman and Naive Set Theory by Halmos are very useful. Working through Lang's Basic Mathematics would also be good preparation for a text like Spivak. I personally elected to work through another of Lang's books, A First Course in Calculus, before approaching Spivak as I feel it can help to have a handle on some of the material first, there is certainly no shame in doing so as Spivak's text has oft been called more of an introduction to analysis than calculus, thus that book is another recommendation from me. Hopefully that should give your brother a fair selection of texts to examine and pick from. ;)

My overall suggested list:

A-level syllabus: Bostock and Chandler.
Rigorous Pre-calculus: Basic Mathematics by Lang.
Calculus: A First Course in Calculus by Lang.
Proof Writing: How To Prove it by Velleman and Naive Set Theory by Halmos.
Rigorous Calculus (essentially analysis): Calculus by Spivak.

Thank you for that detailed response! I'll pass on your suggestions to my brother and let you know how it goes! :)

1. What criteria should I consider when choosing a math textbook for a high school student?

When selecting a math textbook for a high school student, it is important to consider the difficulty level, the curriculum alignment, the style of teaching, the availability of supplementary materials, and the cost.

2. Which math textbooks are commonly used in high schools?

Some commonly used math textbooks in high schools include "Algebra 1", "Geometry", "Algebra 2", "Precalculus", and "Calculus". These textbooks are published by various companies such as Pearson, McGraw-Hill, and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

3. Are there any textbooks that focus on real-world applications of math?

Yes, there are textbooks that focus on real-world applications of math, such as "Mathematics: Applications and Concepts" and "Mathematics in Action". These textbooks incorporate real-life examples and problem-solving tasks to enhance the understanding and application of mathematical concepts.

4. Can I use a college-level math textbook for a high school student?

It is not recommended to use a college-level math textbook for a high school student as it may be too challenging and overwhelming. High school math textbooks are designed to introduce and build a strong foundation of mathematical concepts, while college-level textbooks assume a certain level of knowledge and may move at a faster pace.

5. How can I access reviews or recommendations for math textbooks?

There are various online resources where you can find reviews and recommendations for math textbooks, such as Amazon, Goodreads, and educational websites. You can also consult with teachers, tutors, or other parents to get their opinions and experiences with different math textbooks.