1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Textbooks for different branches of physics

1. May 9, 2016 #1

MMS

Hello everyone,

I am looking for good textbooks in
    1) Optics
    2) Astrophysics
    3) Particle Physics
    All of which on an undergraduate level.

Of course, there are the textbooks stated in the syllabuses of each course but I would rather hear from your own experiences with books on which could be helpful and comprehensible.

OR

If you know of any good lecture notes, that can also be helpful.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2016 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

While you're waiting for someone to respond with specific suggestions, you might try the SEARCH feature at the top right corner of the page. Simply enter the subject. Or, if you know the name of a textbook author, searching for it will often find threads that also discuss other books on the same subject.

4. May 11, 2016 #3
    For optics, I like Hecht, any edition, and Fowles is pretty good too. Hecht also wrote the Schaum's outline of optics, which people seem to like, but I've never read myself.

For undergraduate particle physics, I have to recommend Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles. It covers all the broad strokes that one should know to have context when studying quantum field theory later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted