Textbooks for different branches of physics

In summary, the conversation is about finding good textbooks for optics, astrophysics, and particle physics on an undergraduate level. The person asking for suggestions prefers personal recommendations rather than the textbooks listed in the syllabus. They also mention the possibility of using lecture notes. Suggestions for Hecht and Fowles for optics and Griffiths for particle physics are given.
MMS
Hello everyone,

I am looking for good textbooks in
1) Optics
2) Astrophysics
3) Particle Physics
All of which on an undergraduate level.

Of course, there are the textbooks stated in the syllabuses of each course but I would rather hear from your own experiences with books on which could be helpful and comprehensible.

OR

If you know of any good lecture notes, that can also be helpful.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
While you're waiting for someone to respond with specific suggestions, you might try the SEARCH feature at the top right corner of the page. Simply enter the subject. Or, if you know the name of a textbook author, searching for it will often find threads that also discuss other books on the same subject.

For optics, I like Hecht, any edition, and Fowles is pretty good too. Hecht also wrote the Schaum's outline of optics, which people seem to like, but I've never read myself.

For undergraduate particle physics, I have to recommend Griffiths Introduction to Elementary Particles. It covers all the broad strokes that one should know to have context when studying quantum field theory later.

What is the difference between a textbook for classical mechanics and a textbook for quantum mechanics?

A textbook for classical mechanics focuses on the laws and principles that govern the motion of macroscopic objects, while a textbook for quantum mechanics focuses on the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale.

Are there textbooks that cover multiple branches of physics?

Yes, there are textbooks that cover multiple branches of physics, such as textbooks on theoretical physics or mathematical methods in physics.

Can a textbook on a specific branch of physics be used for self-study?

It depends on the individual's learning style and background knowledge. Some textbooks are written with self-study in mind and include detailed explanations and examples, while others may assume previous knowledge and may be better suited for classroom use.

How often are textbooks for different branches of physics updated?

The frequency of updates varies depending on the branch and the author, but on average, textbooks are updated every 3-5 years to incorporate new research and discoveries in the field.

Are there any online resources that can supplement a textbook for a specific branch of physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as lecture videos, interactive simulations, and practice problems that can supplement a textbook for a specific branch of physics.