Textbooks needed to cover everything in university (undergrad to PhD)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
Someguyoutthere
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
First of all we are talking about theoretical physics (particle physics, general relativity and cosmology) These textbooks start from high school level physics and math and cover everything from there (both math and physics wise).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Someguyoutthere said:
First of all we are talking about theoretical physics (particle physics, general relativity and cosmology) These textbooks start from high school level physics and math and cover everything from there (both math and physics wise).
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Sorry, but your post is not very clear to me. Are you asking for a list of textbooks? Or offering one?

If you are looking for such a list, just go to a typical university's website, copy down the course requirements for the degrees (undergrad, graduate, PhD), and then look at the course listings to see what textbook is required for each course. The Internet should make it reasonably easy for you to do this legwork yourself, IMO. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71
I was indeed asking for a list of textbooks and I asked that questions here just to get the most optimal suggestions.
 
Fair enough. Have you tried out my suggestion yet? What college would you pick as your first choice to check out their course requirements for such degrees? If you can pick one near you, you could visit their bookstore and library to look through the textbooks first-hand...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Someguyoutthere
berkeman said:
Fair enough. Have you tried out my suggestion yet? What college would you pick as your first choice to check out their course requirements for such degrees? If you can pick one near you, you could visit their bookstore and library to look through the textbooks first-hand...
Ok I will thnx a lot
 
Someguyoutthere said:
First of all we are talking about theoretical physics (particle physics, general relativity and cosmology)
In the title you said "everything in university", then you narrowed it down to theoretical physics, and finally reduced to high-energy theoretical physics. I wouldn't be too surprised if you would eventually conclude that you actually meant string theory. :oldbiggrin:
After all, string theory is the theory of everything, so if you learn string theory, in principle you learn "everything in university". :oldlaugh:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Someguyoutthere
Demystifier said:
In the title you said "everything in university", then you narrowed it down to theoretical physics, and finally reduced to high-energy theoretical physics. I wouldn't be too surprised if you would eventually conclude that you actually meant string theory. :oldbiggrin:
After all, string theory is the theory of everything, so if you learn string theory, in principle you learn "everything in university". :oldlaugh:
1) I actually don't like string theory (I just believe other approaches would be more promissing) 2)It is important to learn things with a specific order imo (everything really needed at least) so I should learne enough things (string theory included) so I can try other approaches too. Lastly what textbooks would you suggest?