Textbooks needed to cover everything in university (undergrad to PhD)

In summary, textbooks are essential for covering all necessary material throughout a university education, from undergraduate to PhD level. These textbooks provide comprehensive and in-depth coverage of various subjects, allowing students to gain a thorough understanding of their chosen field of study. They serve as a valuable resource for both coursework and research, and are often the primary source of information for exams and assignments. Textbooks are continuously updated and revised to reflect the latest developments in a particular field, making them an invaluable tool for staying current and relevant in the academic world. While other resources such as lectures and online materials may supplement the learning process, textbooks remain a crucial component in covering all necessary content for a university education.
Someguyoutthere
First of all we are talking about theoretical physics (particle physics, general relativity and cosmology) These textbooks start from high school level physics and math and cover everything from there (both math and physics wise).

Physics news on Phys.org
Someguyoutthere said:
First of all we are talking about theoretical physics (particle physics, general relativity and cosmology) These textbooks start from high school level physics and math and cover everything from there (both math and physics wise).
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Sorry, but your post is not very clear to me. Are you asking for a list of textbooks? Or offering one?

If you are looking for such a list, just go to a typical university's website, copy down the course requirements for the degrees (undergrad, graduate, PhD), and then look at the course listings to see what textbook is required for each course. The Internet should make it reasonably easy for you to do this legwork yourself, IMO. :smile:

Likes vanhees71
I was indeed asking for a list of textbooks and I asked that questions here just to get the most optimal suggestions.

Fair enough. Have you tried out my suggestion yet? What college would you pick as your first choice to check out their course requirements for such degrees? If you can pick one near you, you could visit their bookstore and library to look through the textbooks first-hand...

Likes Someguyoutthere
berkeman said:
Fair enough. Have you tried out my suggestion yet? What college would you pick as your first choice to check out their course requirements for such degrees? If you can pick one near you, you could visit their bookstore and library to look through the textbooks first-hand...
Ok I will thnx a lot

Someguyoutthere said:
First of all we are talking about theoretical physics (particle physics, general relativity and cosmology)
In the title you said "everything in university", then you narrowed it down to theoretical physics, and finally reduced to high-energy theoretical physics. I wouldn't be too surprised if you would eventually conclude that you actually meant string theory. :oldbiggrin:
After all, string theory is the theory of everything, so if you learn string theory, in principle you learn "everything in university". :oldlaugh:

Likes Someguyoutthere
Demystifier said:
In the title you said "everything in university", then you narrowed it down to theoretical physics, and finally reduced to high-energy theoretical physics. I wouldn't be too surprised if you would eventually conclude that you actually meant string theory. :oldbiggrin:
After all, string theory is the theory of everything, so if you learn string theory, in principle you learn "everything in university". :oldlaugh:
1) I actually don't like string theory (I just believe other approaches would be more promissing) 2)It is important to learn things with a specific order imo (everything really needed at least) so I should learne enough things (string theory included) so I can try other approaches too. Lastly what textbooks would you suggest?

1. What textbooks are needed to cover everything in university?

The textbooks needed to cover everything in university will vary depending on your specific field of study and the courses you are taking. Generally, you will need textbooks that cover the core concepts and theories in your field, as well as any specialized topics or electives you are taking. It is best to consult with your professors or academic advisor for specific textbook recommendations.

2. How many textbooks will I need for my undergraduate degree?

The number of textbooks needed for an undergraduate degree will also depend on your field of study and the courses you are taking. On average, students will need around 10-15 textbooks per semester, but this can vary greatly. Some courses may not require any textbooks at all, while others may require multiple textbooks.

3. Can I use the same textbooks for my master's and PhD programs?

It is possible to use some of the same textbooks for your master's and PhD programs, especially if you are staying within the same field of study. However, as you progress in your education, you may need to supplement with more advanced textbooks or specialized texts for your specific research interests.

4. Are there any alternatives to purchasing textbooks for university?

Yes, there are alternatives to purchasing textbooks for university. Some students choose to rent textbooks, buy used textbooks, or even borrow textbooks from the library. Additionally, some professors may provide electronic versions of textbooks or lecture notes that can be accessed for free.

5. How can I save money on textbooks for university?

There are several ways to save money on textbooks for university. You can try to buy used textbooks, rent textbooks, or borrow them from the library. You can also look for online versions or e-books, as these may be cheaper than physical textbooks. It is also a good idea to compare prices from different sources and to ask upperclassmen or classmates if they have any textbooks you can borrow or buy at a discounted price.