Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Texts for Vibration

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend a text for Vibration. My university recommends Mechanical Vibrations by S.S Rao but it has received bad reviews. I am an undergraduate in my second year and prefer the sound of a book that makes this less complicated...?

Thanks

Will

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Anything by Timoshenko is great.

CS

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Tongue's Principles of Vibration is extremely straightforward. It's unlike any other vibrations text I've ever read; at one point, it came shrinkwrapped with a spring that you could attach to a coffee cup (or any weight) to do simple experiments on your own. I used it sophomore year in mechanical engineering.

EDIT: Good Lord, it's only $5 used on Amazon! You can't beat that.

5. Dec 13, 2008 #4
    The Practical Vibration Primer by Charles Jackson, is as the name implies, a primer with much immediately useful information and a good supplement to a ME course.

6. Jan 15, 2009 #5
    I used Rao as an undergrad. I wasn't very helpful.

Try "Mechanical Vibrations" - Hartog (1985)

It's a very old book, but the explanations about the fundamentals are the best I've read.

It's available for around $12 on amazon, and it's free here:

http://www.archive.org/details/mechanicalvibrat031556mbp

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?