Can Asking Simple Questions Challenge General Relativity?

• Thread starter jim77
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker expresses gratitude for the respondent's time in answering their questions about general relativity, acknowledging the difficulty of understanding the concepts. They also mention that their questions may seem foolish and apologize if they have caused any confusion or crisis in the field. The speaker also notes the challenge of reconciling GR with common sense and encourages asking questions and delving into the mathematical aspects. The respondent then reassures the speaker that recent observations have confirmed the validity of GR, despite any misunderstandings.
jim77
I'm going to assume that my last posts haven't provoked a crisis in general relativity that you're struggling to reconcile. I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to answer what must seem like a stupid question to you. I'm sure its as frustrating trying to straighten out popular misconceptions about these topics as it is for us who struggle to understand wtf you guys are talking about and I thought I'd say thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Of course if I have provoked a crisis in general relativity, sorry..or maybe youre welcome. I hope you don't mind if I pop in every now and then with more dumb questions.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem with GR is that the concepts are extremely alien to our every day intuition. It's really not difficult to ask a question that seems perfectly reasonable, but just doesn't make sense when you try to answer in terms of GR. Or to ask a question whose answers don't seem to make sense unless backed up with a twelve-lecture course on differential geometry (the mathematical toolkit underlying GR).

So by all means ask, and we'll try to answer. But you do need to be prepared for some of the answers to fly in the face of common sense (because we're frequently discussing highly uncommon situations). Or else be prepared to put in the hours to follow the maths yourself.

jim77 said:
Of course if I have provoked a crisis in general relativity, sorry..or maybe youre welcome.

That's funny. During the past few months, three (count 'em) separate observations have been reported and published that confirmed the validity of GR. Your misunderstanding of GR does nothing to provoke a "crisis" in GR.

Zz.

Likes Vanadium 50, Tosh5457, dlgoff and 1 other person

1. What inspired you to become a physicist?

I have always been fascinated by the laws and principles that govern the natural world. As a child, I was always curious about how things worked and why they behaved the way they did. This curiosity grew into a passion for physics, which eventually led me to pursue a career in this field.

2. Can you explain complex physics concepts in simple terms?

Yes, as a scientist, it is my job to not only understand complex physics concepts but also to communicate them effectively to others. I am constantly working on ways to break down complicated ideas into simpler, more understandable explanations.

3. How do you conduct your research in physics?

As a physicist, my research involves conducting experiments, analyzing data, and developing theories to explain and predict natural phenomena. I also collaborate with other scientists and use advanced technology and equipment to further my research.

4. What are some real-world applications of physics?

Physics has numerous real-world applications in fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology. Some examples include the development of new materials, the design of energy-efficient buildings, and the creation of medical imaging devices.

5. What advice do you have for aspiring physicists?

My advice would be to never stop questioning and experimenting. Curiosity and perseverance are essential traits for a successful physicist. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help and collaborate with other scientists. And most importantly, stay passionate and curious about the wonders of the universe.