Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The angry programmer!

1. Apr 14, 2017 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I found this video on youtube today. Really good dark comedy!:biggrin:
    Any comments from programmers?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Have you met BOFH already?

4. Apr 14, 2017 #3

ShayanJ

Gold Member

It just keeps getting darker!:biggrin:

5. Apr 14, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Yes, one needs a good portion of black humor. And to know how operating a mainframe works also helps - I think its origin is in the late eighties or early nineties.

6. Apr 14, 2017 #5

berkeman

ROTFLMAO :biggrin:

7. Apr 14, 2017 #6

fresh_42

This is very true. Any time you have to adjust a program to new goals, that haven't been even near the concept as the project was invoked ..., any time you have to bend the mathematics to get numbers out of a data set that wasn't supposed to supply those numbers ... , any time you migrate data in which direction ever ..., any time you have to deal with code that has already been modified several dozen times ..., and so on, and always due to last week! There are two features that are always needed in IT projects and neither of them is ever supplied: a punching bag and a decent amount of Scotch. Correction, I've read about a Japanese company which at least installed punching bags in a room in their basement, which carried the faces of the bosses for their employees ...

And (also in the 90s) there was an American who shot his computer. They put him into a psychiatry. Something I never understood. The psychiatry, not the shooter.

For all who like IT stories written in an amusing style, I recommend https://www.amazon.com/Deadline-Nov...9691&sr=8-1&keywords=tom+demarco+the+deadline.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  8. Apr 17, 2017 #7
    I once pulled a hard drive out of a computer, made a noose with a wire, and hung it up as a warning to all of the other hard drives.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted