Angry Programmer Video: Dark Comedy on YouTube

• Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date
In summary, the caller's computer is very slow and he is not happy about it. The caller tells the programmer that it will be fixed and asks when. The programmer tells the caller that it will be fixed in about 10 seconds and to logout so someone else can use the computer. The caller asks the programmer for help with a research project. The programmer tells the caller that he can't help and hangs up. The caller tries to call back, but the programmer has already hung up.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I found this video on youtube today. Really good dark comedy!:biggrin:
Any comments from programmers?

Likes EnumaElish and OCR
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Have you met BOFH already?
It just keeps getting darker!:biggrin:
I hear the revolver go off, but what the hell, it's 5pm, and not my problem...

ShayanJ said:
It just keeps getting darker!:biggrin:
Yes, one needs a good portion of black humor. And to know how operating a mainframe works also helps - I think its origin is in the late eighties or early nineties.

fresh_42 said:
Have you met BOFH already?
ROTFLMAO :biggrin:
A user rings"Do you know why the system is slow?" they ask

"It's probably something to do with..." I look up today's excuse ".. clock speed"

"Oh" (Not knowing what I'm talking about, they're satisfied) "Do you know when it will be fixed?"

"Fixed? There's 275 users on your machine, and one of them is you. Don't be so selfish - logout now and give someone else a chance!"

"But my research results are due in tommorrow and all I need is one page of Laser Print.."

"SURE YOU DO. Well, you just keep telling yourself that buddy!" I hang up.

You'd really think people would learn not to call..

The phone rings. It'll be him again, I know. That annoys me. I put on a gruff voice

"HELLO, SALARIES!"

"Oh, I'm sorry, I've got the wrong number"

"YEAH? Well what's your name buddy? Do you know WASTED phone calls cost money? DO YOU? I've got a good mind to subtract your wasted time, my wasted time, and the cost of this call from your weekly wages! IN FACT I WILL! By the time I've finished with you, YOU'LL OWE US money! WHAT'S YOUR NAME - AND DON'T LIE, WE'VE GOT CALLER ID!"

I hear the phone drop and the sound of running feet - he's obviously going to try and get an alibi by being at the Dean's office. I look up his username and find his department. I ring the Dean's secretary.

"Hello?" she answers

"Hi, SIMON, B.O.F.H. HERE, LISTEN, WHEN THAT GUY COMES RUNNING INTO YOUR OFFICE IN ABOUT 10 SECONDS, CAN YOU GIVE HIM A MESSAGE?"

"I think so..." she says

"TELL HIM `HE CAN RUN, BUT HE CAN'T HIDE'"

ShayanJ said:
I found this video on youtube today. Really good dark comedy!:biggrin:
Any comments from programmers?

This is very true. Any time you have to adjust a program to new goals, that haven't been even near the concept as the project was invoked ..., any time you have to bend the mathematics to get numbers out of a data set that wasn't supposed to supply those numbers ... , any time you migrate data in which direction ever ..., any time you have to deal with code that has already been modified several dozen times ..., and so on, and always due to last week! There are two features that are always needed in IT projects and neither of them is ever supplied: a punching bag and a decent amount of Scotch. Correction, I've read about a Japanese company which at least installed punching bags in a room in their basement, which carried the faces of the bosses for their employees ...

And (also in the 90s) there was an American who shot his computer. They put him into a psychiatry. Something I never understood. The psychiatry, not the shooter.

For all who like IT stories written in an amusing style, I recommend https://www.amazon.com/dp/0932633390/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes EnumaElish
I once pulled a hard drive out of a computer, made a noose with a wire, and hung it up as a warning to all of the other hard drives.

Likes Blank_Stare and nuuskur

1. What is the "Angry Programmer Video: Dark Comedy on YouTube" about?

The video is a dark comedy that follows the story of an angry programmer who is frustrated with his job and takes out his anger on his coworkers and computer.

2. Who created the "Angry Programmer Video: Dark Comedy on YouTube"?

The video was created by a team of scientists and comedians who wanted to explore the humorous side of the tech industry.

3. Is the "Angry Programmer Video: Dark Comedy on YouTube" based on a true story?

No, the video is purely fictional and not based on any real-life events or individuals.

4. What inspired the creators to make the "Angry Programmer Video: Dark Comedy on YouTube"?

The creators were inspired by their own experiences working in the tech industry and wanted to use humor to shed light on the frustrations and challenges faced by programmers.

5. Are there any underlying messages in the "Angry Programmer Video: Dark Comedy on YouTube"?

While the video is primarily meant to be entertaining, there are subtle messages about the importance of work-life balance and managing stress in a high-pressure job like programming.