The argument of a complex number

In summary, to find the argument value of a complex number without using a calculator, you can first calculate the absolute value of the number by finding its distance from the origin. Then, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to determine the angle of the argument, which is measured from the positive real axis to the complex number. This approach may not work for all complex numbers, but it is a possible method to use when finding the argument without a calculator.
Null_Pointer

Homework Equations

I was just wondering, how do you guys get the argument value from a complex number
without using any calculator, i know that some solutions may be impossible to get without
a calculator but just finding some of the easier angles.

The Attempt at a Solution

Example: If i have the following complex number

z = 1 + sqrt(3)*i

i calculate the absolute value of z (|z|) and since that value is the distance from the origin
to the point (r) i put the value as the hypotenuse of a triangle and apply the x and the y values to the adjecent and the opposite and now i try to find the argument of z.

I use the pythagorean theorem to get the angle of the argument and i get the answer arg(z) = pi / 3 which happens to be true in this case. I'm just wondering if this is the right approach to this problem or if there exist any other probably better solutions for finding the argument of z without the use of a calculator.

//Thx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Well that is how you get arg(z). It is the angle measured from the positive real axis to the complex number.

What is the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle between the positive real axis and the line connecting the origin to the complex number in the complex plane.

How is the argument of a complex number calculated?

The argument of a complex number can be calculated using the formula arg(z) = arctan(b/a), where z is the complex number a + bi and a and b are the real and imaginary parts, respectively.

What is the range of the argument of a complex number?

The range of the argument of a complex number is -π to π radians or -180° to 180°.

What is the relationship between the argument of a complex number and its conjugate?

The argument of a complex number and its conjugate have the same magnitude but opposite signs. This means that their arguments differ by π radians or 180°.

Why is the argument of a complex number important in mathematics?

The argument of a complex number is important because it helps us understand the geometric properties of complex numbers and is used in various mathematical applications such as solving equations, finding roots, and representing waveforms.