The atom is how many times larger in volume than its nucleus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of representing the diameter of a hydrogen atom and its nucleus using the length of an American football field. The hydrogen atom has a diameter of approximately 1.06*10-10 m and the nucleus has a diameter of approximately 2.40*10-15 m. The conversation also mentions that the atom is much larger in volume than its nucleus. The individuals involved are trying to figure out how to accurately represent the scale model using the football field length. They compare it to a map that represents a large distance using a small distance on paper.
440BW
I am new to physics, so bear with as I don't know a lot yet.
I was given this problem to figure out, but have been having a difficult time.

A hydrogen atom has a diameter of approximately 1.06*10-10 m, as defined by the diameter of the spherical electron cloud around the nucleus. The hydrogen nucleus has a diameter of approximately 2.40*10-15 m. (a) For a scale model, represent the diameter of the hydrogen atom by the length of an American football field (100yds. = 300ft.), and determine the diameter of the nucleus in millimeters. (b) The atom is how many times larger in volume than its nucleus?

I know how to do all of the conversions, but am confused about representing the diameter by the length of a football field. Do I convert the diameter of the electron cloud to yards, and then multiply it by 100? What exactly do they mean ?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a simple proportion problem and is similar to a map which represents, for example, 1 kilometer of terrain by 1 centimeter on paper.

Thanks Tide! That is what I thought, but it just didn't seem right on paper. I should be good then.

Related to The atom is how many times larger in volume than its nucleus?

1. How much larger is the atom compared to its nucleus?

The atom is approximately 100,000 times larger in volume than its nucleus.

2. Why is the atom so much larger than its nucleus?

This is due to the fact that atoms are mostly empty space, with the majority of their volume being taken up by the electrons orbiting the nucleus.

3. Can the size of an atom vary?

Yes, the size of an atom can vary depending on the number of electrons it has. As the number of electrons increases, so does the size of the atom.

4. Is the size of the nucleus constant?

No, the size of the nucleus can vary depending on the number of protons and neutrons it contains. As the number of these particles changes, so does the size of the nucleus.

5. How does the size of the atom and its nucleus affect its properties?

The size of the atom and its nucleus play a crucial role in determining the properties of an element. For example, the size of the atom affects its reactivity and chemical bonding behavior, while the size of the nucleus determines the stability and radioactivity of the element.