The believing to never die - and how it may influence science

• Thread starter Omega0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation discusses the influence of the idea of immortality on science and religion throughout history. The speakers bring up various examples, such as the belief in multiple universes and the potential for immortality through science. They also mention the potential for misperceptions of science and the debate between science and religion. The conversation ends with the idea that science is not solely ruled by science itself, but also by belief.
Omega0
Hi,

I think that history shows a constant:

- nobody wants to die
- this introduces several versions of fiction (like religion)
- science is influenced by this fiction

Probably you can imagine several examples where the idea of immortality influenced or influences science? What do you think?

Just one example: Believing to get trough a Black Hole and appear in another universe in a "White Hole" or similar trash.

Please let me know!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Omega0 said:
I think that history shows a constant:

- nobody wants to die
- this introduces several versions of fiction (like religion)
- science is influenced by this fiction
I don't need history to know nobody wants to die, but history tells me science and religion tend to be at odds.

Omega0 said:
nobody wants to die
If that's the case, why is there such a thing as suicide and assisted suicide?

Likes BillTre
russ_watters said:
I don't need history to know nobody wants to die, but history tells me science and religion tend to be at odds.
My point is more that science just carefully goes over to break some rules, if at all. It is mostly not to be at odds.

As an examply, you might have stared to the stars as a child, "ohh, is this infinite? Is there a dublicate of mine?". Nowadays it is partly popular to believe in multi universes and so on. For this "Many World" idea I have a pretty simple explanation: Even if someone goes, somewhere else the person will still exist. Nobody goes. "My sister is waiting there for me" or whatever.

I believe that there is sort of believing behind physics - even today.

In the scientifically worst case we will go into a wrong direction because we believe that we have to believe in the right way, and we stumble around in fog.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
phinds said:
If that's the case, why is there such a thing as suicide and assisted suicide?
Oh, that is pretty simple. Unfortunately I know such cases. If the pain is that big that you don't care if there is something later, a life or whatever after your death, you just want get away then you will do that.

I would recommend to speak about things where you have some experience with.

Your examples seem to be popular misperceptions of science rather than science Itself.

Likes russ_watters
caz said:
Your examples seem to be popular misperceptions of science rather than science Itself
Depends on the definition. "Science itself" (and I am not a Philosopher) is independent from any religion. As soon as you believe that things can't die or disappear or change you may have a problem - as a scientist.

Again, as an example: I believe that you can send a spaceship into a black hole and what you will get is not a smiling crew in another universe but ... nothing.

This is just an example but I would find it sort of boring to list way more for myself. If you don't find some, okay, I may list some more.

I just wanted to get your (the forums) impression how much you believe that only science rules science. I am absolutely convinced that this is not the case.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
This thread is done.

Likes Astronuc, Wrichik Basu and phinds

1. What is the concept of "believing to never die"?

The concept of "believing to never die" refers to the belief that death is not the end of existence and that some form of consciousness or existence continues after physical death. This belief is often associated with religious or spiritual beliefs, but it can also be seen as a philosophical or scientific concept.

2. How does this belief influence science?

This belief can influence science in various ways. It can inspire scientists to explore the nature of consciousness and the possibility of an afterlife. It can also influence the study of near-death experiences and other phenomena that may provide evidence for the continuation of consciousness after death. Additionally, this belief can lead to ethical considerations in scientific research, such as the use of human subjects in experiments.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support this belief?

There is currently no scientific evidence to definitively prove or disprove the concept of "believing to never die." While there have been studies on near-death experiences and other phenomena that may suggest the continuation of consciousness, these findings are still debated and not universally accepted by the scientific community.

4. How does this belief relate to the concept of immortality?

The belief in "never dying" can be seen as a form of immortality, as it suggests that consciousness or existence continues after physical death. However, it is important to note that this belief does not necessarily guarantee eternal life, as the nature of this existence after death is still unknown.

5. Can this belief be scientifically tested?

It is difficult to scientifically test the concept of "believing to never die" as it is often intertwined with personal beliefs and experiences. However, scientists can study related phenomena, such as near-death experiences, and continue to explore the nature of consciousness and the possibility of an afterlife through scientific research and experimentation.