The benefit of having Bachelor of Arts and Sci both

• Thread starter aksg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bachelor
In summary: Art" (in terms of your current university's teachings)? To me, "Art" is a subject that can be very subjective and very difficult to teach in any objective sense. But, yes, I can see how "Art" can be something that could be taught in a university setting. So I'm curious about how your university teaches "Art".As for your desire to study physics afterwards, I have not personally known anyone who has made that specific switch. However, I do know of physicists who have found success in fields related to art, such as computer graphics and materials science. Opposite backgrounds can definitely create a unique perspective and valuable impact in any field, including physics. If you are
aksg
I'm about to graduate from an Art University and passionate to study physics afterwards.
do you know any people doing this kind of a major shift and how it resulted? second: do you think having opposite backgrounds can create a valuable impact in the field as a rare situation somehow? third: if so, in which focus would it be?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aksg said:
I'm about to graduate from an Art University and passionate to study physics afterwards.
do you know any people doing this kind of a major shift and how it resulted? second: do you think having opposite backgrounds can create a valuable impact in the field as a rare situation somehow? third: if so, in which focus would it be?
(if no, I'll throw my BA diploma and keep on doing arts as a hobby anyway)

thanks in advance.
I don't know anyone who made the switch. But I do know of physicists working in the field of computer graphics and computer animation. That would seem a natural fit for you. If you gravitate towards solid-state physics and materials science, there's a lot of interesting work on authenticating old art.

aksg said:

thanks in advance.
Not enough information in your post. Art is good for understanding feeling, how to communicate, how to illustrate, and maybe how to understand other people and other cultural details. Not bad to do/to have. Art may still develop skills for how to do things. Do chemists and physicists have any need for good glass-blowing? Such is really Art. NOT BAD! IS IT?

aksg said:

thanks in advance.

First of all, this post is very vague when one combines it with the title of the thread. Is this a Bachelor of Arts degree, or is this really a degree in "Arts", as in "Fine Arts"?

Saying that you are graduating from an "Art University" is awfully vague. What did you major in? Everyone here seems to think that an "Art University" only offers degrees in "Fine Arts", which is wrong. The Art Institutes, for example, offers degrees in Film Production, Interior Design, Marketing, Animation and Visual Effects, Culinary Arts, etc..., i.e. not just paintings!

Finally, ANY life experience can be an advantage to ANY degree that you choose. Physics is no exception.

Zz.

Also, the terminology for different degrees and subjects varies in different countries. And there may be problems in translating this terminology if your native language is not English.

Therefore, it would help if you can give us some information about your university, so we can see more clearly what "kind" of university it is; and some information about exactly what courses you have studied so far. It would probably help even more if you can tell us which country you're in, and which university you're attending, although I understand you may not want to do that for privacy reasons.

What is this artistic vision if art can be either good or bad?

But it is what I am asking :D. I mean how would you define it because definition of it could lead to your first question.

Ok. It depends on inner qualities and sense of relativity what is good and what is bad art. I notice ancient art didnt have any external theory of producing their art pieces. How did they get required skills? They were simply just doing it and it is still good art. Now it also depends what you mean when you say theory. In this case it would simply be addition of your understanding of details and creating bigger structure witch is creating your theory that represents art piece in literal sense. It is hard to answer your question unless you go more specific. Even that way it would be still hard to answer it depending on your question.

Last edited:
aksg said:

thanks in advance.
What about "Art" does your current university teach? What is the set of goals of your university?

Art and Science, or Art and Technology CAN and DO go together. Remember Steve Jobs? Art was an important part of his background. Understand, Art can be used as a way to make technology approachable, or more easily usable.

Art and Science are not opposites; they are just different, but can be made to blend or complement.

Valuable impact of the two, Arts and Sciences? Certainly, and I may have only vaguely gave one example, and too many examples are possible. Icons for computer program applications; calligraphy and fonts as found in text-technology in computer science & programs; old-style skills like glass-blowing, or ceramics-work (even making items from clay); fragrances and their complicated blends used in foods, beverages, cleaning formulations, air-fresheners,...

Likes bhobba
Well there is this guy called Witten:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Witten

Witten was born in Baltimore, Maryland, to a Jewish family. He is the son of Lorraine (Wollach) Witten and Louis Witten, a theoretical physicist specializing in gravitation and general relativity. Witten attended the Park School of Baltimore (class of '68), and received his Bachelor of Arts with a major in history and minor in linguistics from Brandeis University in 1971. He published articles in The New Republic and The Nation. In 1968, Witten published an article in The Nation arguing that the New Left had no strategy. He worked briefly for George McGovern's presidential campaign.

Witten attended the University of Wisconsin–Madison for one semester as an economics graduate student before dropping out. He returned to academia, enrolling in applied mathematics at Princeton University in 1973, then shifting departments and receiving a Ph.D. in physics in 1976 under David Gross, the 2004 Nobel laureate in Physics. He held a fellowship at Harvard University (1976–77), visited Oxford University (1977–78), was a junior fellow in the Harvard Society of Fellows (1977–80), and held a MacArthur Foundation fellowship (1982).

Enough said.

There is no reason you can't switch to physics, or do both - it entirely up to you. You can do it as a hobby or take it seriously and go for professional qualifications - whatever you like. Feynman liked to dabble in painting in his spare time - Einstein played the violin - its not that uncommon.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is the difference between a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science degree?

A Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree typically focuses on subjects in the humanities, such as English, history, or philosophy. On the other hand, a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree typically focuses on subjects in the sciences, such as biology, chemistry, or physics. However, this distinction can vary between universities and programs.

2. What are the benefits of having both a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science degree?

Having both a BA and BS degree can provide a well-rounded education and a diverse set of skills. It can also make a person more competitive in the job market, as they have knowledge and expertise in both the humanities and sciences.

3. Can I pursue a double major in both Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science?

Yes, many universities offer the option for students to pursue a double major, allowing them to earn both a BA and BS degree. However, this may require a heavier course load and a longer time to complete both degrees.

4. Which degree is more beneficial for certain career paths?

It ultimately depends on the specific career path and industry. For example, a BA degree may be more beneficial for careers in writing or communication, while a BS degree may be more beneficial for careers in the sciences or technology. It is important to research and determine which degree aligns with your career goals.

5. Can I use both degrees to pursue further education, such as a Master's degree?

Yes, having both a BA and BS degree can make a person more competitive for graduate programs. It can also provide a strong foundation for interdisciplinary studies, which are becoming increasingly popular in graduate programs.