Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Bermuda triangle

1. Jun 30, 2003 #1
    Are there really strange things going on there?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2003 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not according to insurance companies. Lloyds of London insures large ships and their cargos. Not only has a review of their logs of shipping disasters from the last 150 years revealed nothing, but if a greater risk were present, then the insurance rates should reflect it.

Some people argue that even if this is true, too many highly unusual events have taken place in the "triangle"; and there are some interesting examples. For example, back in the 70s a large sail boat left port with about 10 people on board. It was found adrift and empty. Everything was in tact and dinner was still on the stove. There were no signs of violence or foul play. The radio and engines worked. No distress calls had been made. Seems pretty strange eh? It was as if everyone had simply vanished.

Arthur Clark reviewed this story in his Mysterious World series. The conclusion? Everyone had gone swimming and no one had put down the ladder. The ship just sailed away into the dark night. Darn! I hate it when that happens.

From what I have seen, most of these stories are likely explained by very down to earth events. Also, there is probably an occasional release of methane gas from the ocean floor. If this release is large enough, the gas bubbles can actually cause a large ship to loose buoyancy and sink. This could supposedly even cause and aircraft to crash [I'm not sure how].

For me, the one bothersome detail of some triangle stories is that of magnetic effects.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2003
  4. Jun 30, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I should add that a few documented stories do seem to defy any reasonable explanation except for that of being clever hoaxes.

5. Jun 30, 2003 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In other words, the rest of the world is no less unusual than the Bermuda Triangle!

6. Jun 30, 2003 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's pretty much my take on it.

7. Jun 30, 2003 #6

Dx

theres some strange magnetic activity there!

8. Jun 30, 2003 #7
    Where did you get that information from?
    The same place that said all the other weird stuff was going on?

9. Jun 30, 2003 #8

Dx

Well i live in tampa, Fl and have visted the keys many times boating/fishing lets just say. But never been dumb enough to enter it! I cant remember but i think it it stretches from Miami, of course bermuda to P.R. There is a strange magnetic activity within!
    dx

10. Jun 30, 2003 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey Dx, you may note that I left this item a bit open. I have never encountered a well documented event of this sort - some stories but usually on one person's say so. Do you have any good information on such an event, or are you just compelled by personal accounts that something real must be happening?

11. Jun 30, 2003 #10

FZ+

Well... the magnetic anomalies isn't that bad. It is well known that the earth's magnetic field has a large number of such anomalies, but they are small in magnitude. I think they are attributed to iregularities to currents in the earth's core.

12. Jul 1, 2003 #11
    Let's say there IS some strange magnetic activity going on, just for the sake of argument. What would it mean/change?

13. Jul 1, 2003 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: The Bermuda triangle

Funny how we all missed this. Even me, and I said it. This hypothesis suggests that methylhydrate is stored in vast quantities under the surface of the Atlantic ocean floor. Occasional seismic activity and landslides could expose new sections of land - the methylhydrate salt - to an infinite [relatively] supply of water; thus releasing enormous amounts of methane. This process could release such a large amount of gas that the scientist who proposes this idea is concerned about planet altering events. If shelf or layer of this salt does exist in the floor of the Atlantic, this could account for the stories. This could explain the alleged strangeness of many disappearances. Also, before losing radio contact, the one lost fighter squadron even reported that the ocean looked strange. This could be a result of a large release of gas causing the sea to boil. . I almost skirted over this as if it was not at least potentially significant.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2003
  14. Jul 1, 2003 #13

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, as far as I know it's still a fairly speculative hypothesis (though it has been years since I last heard of the methane gas idea)

15. Jul 1, 2003 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have seen some recent results that again indicate that large ships can be sunk by this. Also, we know events like this happen since an entire oil platform was lost due to such a release.

16. Jul 5, 2003 #15

Dx

From my own personnel experience fishing I had really strong anomilies of magnetic activity which had me spoofed. I never seen Ghost ships or anything like that but Ive seen alot of wierd sh*t in my lifetime. I came about (guessing the range) no more than 30 miles of entering the bermuda triangle. I can tell you one thing, its some great fishing down here.
    dx

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2003
  17. Jul 7, 2003 #16

megashawn

Science Advisor

I would think that a large release in methane gas would rise towards the surface of the ocean, and eventually out into the atmosphere. Then as the gas collected in the air above the ocean, and a plane powered by a combustion engine of some sort flew through it, that likely there would not be enough oxygen to keep the engines running and/or the increase in methane could possible cause an uncontrolled explosion within the engine, causing the pilot to crash.

Ahh, catch my breath.

18. Jul 7, 2003 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So the fish in the Bermuda Triangle have legends of other fishes mysteriously disappearing?

19. Jul 8, 2003 #18

jb

i'm thinking columbus didn't sail through there, but what if he did?

this is probably a bad idea, but why doesn't someone send a robot sub down there and check it out? or maybe send some dummy ships through with a sat broadcast of pitch/turbulence, changes in temperature, elevation, etc.

20. Jul 8, 2003 #19
    A lot of historians say that Columbus sailed through the Sargasso Sea (which is in or partially in the BErmuda Triangle).

ANy of you guys ever heard of the Devil's Triangle (which is off Japan and named after a former English professor).

21. Jul 11, 2003 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?