The Bermuda triangle

  • Thread starter Tail
  • Start date
196
0
Are there really strange things going on there?
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Originally posted by Tail
Are there really strange things going on there?
Not according to insurance companies. Lloyds of London insures large ships and their cargos. Not only has a review of their logs of shipping disasters from the last 150 years revealed nothing, but if a greater risk were present, then the insurance rates should reflect it.

Some people argue that even if this is true, too many highly unusual events have taken place in the "triangle"; and there are some interesting examples. For example, back in the 70s a large sail boat left port with about 10 people on board. It was found adrift and empty. Everything was in tact and dinner was still on the stove. There were no signs of violence or foul play. The radio and engines worked. No distress calls had been made. Seems pretty strange eh? It was as if everyone had simply vanished.

Arthur Clark reviewed this story in his Mysterious World series. The conclusion? Everyone had gone swimming and no one had put down the ladder. The ship just sailed away into the dark night. Darn! I hate it when that happens.

From what I have seen, most of these stories are likely explained by very down to earth events. Also, there is probably an occasional release of methane gas from the ocean floor. If this release is large enough, the gas bubbles can actually cause a large ship to loose buoyancy and sink. This could supposedly even cause and aircraft to crash [I'm not sure how].

For me, the one bothersome detail of some triangle stories is that of magnetic effects.
 
Last edited:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
I should add that a few documented stories do seem to defy any reasonable explanation except for that of being clever hoaxes.
 

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
14,845
17
In other words, the rest of the world is no less unusual than the Bermuda Triangle!
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Originally posted by Hurkyl
In other words, the rest of the world is no less unusual than the Bermuda Triangle!
That's pretty much my take on it.
 

Dx

theres some strange magnetic activity there!
 
73
0
Originally posted by Dx
theres some strange magnetic activity there!
Where did you get that information from?
The same place that said all the other weird stuff was going on?
 

Dx

Well i live in tampa, Fl and have visted the keys many times boating/fishing lets just say. But never been dumb enough to enter it! I cant remember but i think it it stretches from Miami, of course bermuda to P.R. There is a strange magnetic activity within!
dx
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Originally posted by Dx
Well i live in tampa, Fl and have visted the keys many times boating/fishing lets just say. But never been dumb enough to enter it! I cant remember but i think it it stretches from Miami, of course bermuda to P.R. There is a strange magnetic activity within!
dx
Hey Dx, you may note that I left this item a bit open. I have never encountered a well documented event of this sort - some stories but usually on one person's say so. Do you have any good information on such an event, or are you just compelled by personal accounts that something real must be happening?
 

FZ+

1,550
2
Well... the magnetic anomalies isn't that bad. It is well known that the earth's magnetic field has a large number of such anomalies, but they are small in magnitude. I think they are attributed to iregularities to currents in the earth's core.
 
196
0
Let's say there IS some strange magnetic activity going on, just for the sake of argument. What would it mean/change?
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Re: Re: The Bermuda triangle

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Also, there is probably an occasional release of methane gas from the ocean floor. If this release is large enough, the gas bubbles can actually cause a large ship to loose buoyancy and sink. This could supposedly even cause and aircraft to crash [I'm not sure how].
Funny how we all missed this. Even me, and I said it. This hypothesis suggests that methylhydrate is stored in vast quantities under the surface of the Atlantic ocean floor. Occasional seismic activity and landslides could expose new sections of land - the methylhydrate salt - to an infinite [relatively] supply of water; thus releasing enormous amounts of methane. This process could release such a large amount of gas that the scientist who proposes this idea is concerned about planet altering events. If shelf or layer of this salt does exist in the floor of the Atlantic, this could account for the stories. This could explain the alleged strangeness of many disappearances. Also, before losing radio contact, the one lost fighter squadron even reported that the ocean looked strange. This could be a result of a large release of gas causing the sea to boil. . I almost skirted over this as if it was not at least potentially significant.
 
Last edited:

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
14,845
17
Well, as far as I know it's still a fairly speculative hypothesis (though it has been years since I last heard of the methane gas idea)
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Originally posted by Hurkyl
Well, as far as I know it's still a fairly speculative hypothesis (though it has been years since I last heard of the methane gas idea)
I have seen some recent results that again indicate that large ships can be sunk by this. Also, we know events like this happen since an entire oil platform was lost due to such a release.
 

Dx

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Hey Dx, you may note that I left this item a bit open. I have never encountered a well documented event of this sort - some stories but usually on one person's say so. Do you have any good information on such an event, or are you just compelled by personal accounts that something real must be happening?
From my own personnel experience fishing I had really strong anomilies of magnetic activity which had me spoofed. I never seen Ghost ships or anything like that but Ive seen alot of wierd sh*t in my lifetime. I came about (guessing the range) no more than 30 miles of entering the bermuda triangle. I can tell you one thing, its some great fishing down here.
dx
 
Last edited by a moderator:

megashawn

Science Advisor
435
0
This could supposedly even cause and aircraft to crash [I'm not sure how].
I would think that a large release in methane gas would rise towards the surface of the ocean, and eventually out into the atmosphere. Then as the gas collected in the air above the ocean, and a plane powered by a combustion engine of some sort flew through it, that likely there would not be enough oxygen to keep the engines running and/or the increase in methane could possible cause an uncontrolled explosion within the engine, causing the pilot to crash.

Ahh, catch my breath.
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Originally posted by Dx
I can tell you one thing, its some great fishing down here.
dx
So the fish in the Bermuda Triangle have legends of other fishes mysteriously disappearing?
 

jb

i'm thinking columbus didn't sail through there, but what if he did?

this is probably a bad idea, but why doesn't someone send a robot sub down there and check it out? or maybe send some dummy ships through with a sat broadcast of pitch/turbulence, changes in temperature, elevation, etc.
 
152
2
A lot of historians say that Columbus sailed through the Sargasso Sea (which is in or partially in the BErmuda Triangle).

ANy of you guys ever heard of the Devil's Triangle (which is off Japan and named after a former English professor).
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Re: Re: Re: The Bermuda triangle

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Funny how we all missed this. Even me, and I said it. This hypothesis suggests that methylhydrate is stored in vast quantities under the surface of the Atlantic ocean floor. Occasional seismic activity and landslides could expose new sections of land - the methylhydrate salt - to an infinite [relatively] supply of water; thus releasing enormous amounts of methane. This process could release such a large amount of gas that the scientist who proposes this idea is concerned about planet altering events. If shelf or layer of this salt does exist in the floor of the Atlantic, this could account for the stories. This could explain the alleged strangeness of many disappearances. Also, before losing radio contact, the one lost fighter squadron even reported that the ocean looked strange. This could be a result of a large release of gas causing the sea to boil. . I almost skirted over this as if it was not at least potentially significant.
also posted today in the Physics Forum:
BRADENTON BEACH -- Some scientists wonder if giant gas bubbles could be sucking ships beneath the Bermuda Triangle.
[some pretty lousy writing! I think they mean sinking ships.]

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?SearchID=73143116169015&Avis=SH&Dato=20030801&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=308010471&Ref=AR
 

LURCH

Science Advisor
2,546
117
Originally posted by megashawn
I would think that a large release in methane gas would rise towards the surface of the ocean, and eventually out into the atmosphere. Then as the gas collected in the air above the ocean, and a plane powered by a combustion engine of some sort flew through it, that likely there would not be enough oxygen to keep the engines running and/or the increase in methane could possible cause an uncontrolled explosion within the engine, causing the pilot to crash.

Ahh, catch my breath.
Or just incinerate the plane! I've seen footage of what can happen when these methane pockets reach the surface. An oil-rig was sunk by one and as it sank, flames lept up from the boiling waters!
 

russ_watters

Mentor
18,848
5,038
Originally posted by jb
i'm thinking columbus didn't sail through there, but what if he did?...

or maybe send some dummy ships through with a sat broadcast of pitch/turbulence, changes in temperature, elevation, etc.
I'm pretty sure the Bermuda Triangle myth started with Columbus - he sailed through it and saw some ball lightning and had compass trouble.

NOAA has dozens of permanent weather buoys surrounding our coastlines that besides weather measure wave intensity. http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/Maps/Florida.shtml [Broken]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1,927
6
I have not studied this topic, but my understanding (based on the writings of skeptic Michael Shermer) is that statistically, there is no more strange events in the Bermuda Triangle than anywhere else in the world. There are many shipping lanes that go through the Triangle, so there are more opportunities for accidents/whatever as compared to less-used ocean areas. And of course, if an accident does happen there, the media goes ga-ga over it whereas the same accident outside of the Triangle would get less attention.

So, it seems to be myth/urban legend + selective memory.
 

Related Threads for: The Bermuda triangle

  • Posted
Replies
1
Views
3K
Replies
11
Views
16K
  • Posted
Replies
23
Views
17K
Replies
3
Views
20K
Replies
6
Views
12K
  • Posted
Replies
2
Views
4K
  • Posted
2 3 4
Replies
91
Views
14K
  • Posted
Replies
1
Views
3K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads

Top