Understanding Orbitals and Energy Levels in the Bohr Model

In summary, the first levels of an atom are composed of electrons with different numbers. The number of electrons is based on the quantum number n. The rules for determining the quantum number are based on the principle quantum number n and the azimuthal quantum number l. The number of electrons in a state is written in superscript and the principle quantum number is also written in superscript. The rules for writing quantum states use the principle quantum number and the name of a sub-shell that contains the orbitals. The number of electrons in a state is also written in superscript. The rules for writing quantum states also use the principle quantum number and the name of a sub-shell that contains the orbitals. The number of electrons in
liquidFuzz
I'm sitting with Physics Handbook and I'm trying to recall how the make out the orbitals in the energy levels. Let's take a look at the first levels.

n = 1 - sub-shell K
Number of electrons = [itex]2n^2 \Rightarrow 2[/itex] electrons.
Number of electrons = [itex]l = 0,1... n-1 \Rightarrow l = 0[/itex].

This is where I get stuck. I can't remember how to get the orbitals; s, p, d etc...

Edit, is n = 0 & l = 0 written as 1s?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah well, I think I've got it, using brute force on my F.H. One thing though.

I seem to remember using this model to decide between which orbitals a jump is possible. Is it, how would I do that if yes..?

Cheers!

Hmm... Thanks for the link!

I'm not sure of the terminology in English. Would this be called Electron Transition? The rules, how do I determine [itex]\Delta m_l[/itex] ? I added a picture of what I've got so far.

Rules

[itex]\Delta l = \pm 1[/itex]
[itex]\Delta m_l = 0, \pm 1[/itex]

Attachments

• hydrogen.gif
    hydrogen.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 490
First write down the principle quantum no. n the azimuthal quantum number is l=n-1 and then magnetic quantum number is m=-l to l. n and l give energy states, and m gives orientation of degenerate states. n can never be zero here at in the which you are dealing with. n=1 l=0 is written as 1s.
for s, l=0
for p, l=1
for d, l=2
for f, l=3
for g, l=4 and so on..
Actually s, p, d, f, ... are initial alphabets of the spectral terms - sharp,principle,diffuse,fundamental.
general rule for writing quantum states is -(principle quntum no. n)(name of sub-shell s,p,d or f)and number of electron in that state in superscript.
One more thing s, p, d, f,... are subshells containing orbitals decided by m and each orbital contains at max. 2 electrons as per Pauli's exclusion principle.
s-> one orbital m=0,
p-> three degenerate orbitals m=-1,0,1
and so on

Thanks for the explanation. I tried to sketch possible transitions... Is any transitions but 1s --> 2p and 1s --> 3p likely to occur given that they have to stop at 2p?

1. What is the Bohr model?

The Bohr model is a simplified model of the atom proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913. It depicts the atom as having a central nucleus surrounded by orbiting electrons at specific energy levels.

2. How does the Bohr model explain atomic structure?

The Bohr model explains atomic structure by proposing that electrons exist in specific energy levels and can jump between these levels by absorbing or emitting energy. The model also explains the stability of atoms by suggesting that electrons in the outermost energy level determine an atom's chemical properties.

3. Is the Bohr model still relevant today?

While the Bohr model is not a completely accurate representation of atomic structure, it is still relevant today as it laid the foundation for further scientific discoveries and theories. It is often used as a simplified model to teach the basics of atomic structure.

4. What are the limitations of the Bohr model?

The Bohr model does not account for the wave-like behavior of electrons and does not accurately depict the location of electrons in the atom. It also cannot explain the behavior of atoms with more than one electron.

5. How did the Bohr model contribute to the development of quantum mechanics?

The Bohr model's proposal of electrons existing in discrete energy levels helped pave the way for the development of quantum mechanics. It also led to further experiments and observations that eventually led to a more accurate understanding of atomic structure.