Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The brain doctor

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I have my appointment at the big city hospital tomorrow, first they are going to look see if i have a brain. If i have they are going to try to make it go wrong, i doubt that they can make a few AND and OR gates go wrong some how, but i guess you have to let them play.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you going to get an MRI, woolie?

4. Oct 21, 2008 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Yes, and EEG, and they are going to make me hyperventilate and flash lights at me.
    And i not worried one tiny bit, but i do not like hospitals much.

5. Oct 21, 2008 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've had several MRIs - they aren't too bad. But they take a LOT longer than I expected, and it's very loud in there.

Do you have a tendancy to be claustrophobic?

6. Oct 21, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

I did not like having to run cables in crawl spaces, but i am sure i will cope okay.

How come you have had many MRI's?

7. Oct 21, 2008 #6
    ya Ive had all sorts of brain tests. MRI's are just boring but at least there arent any injections. Lisab is right, youre not allowed to fall asleep and you have to remain perfectly still and theres all sorts of crashing and banging, and its all just giant magnets so any metal stuff will fly right in and so you have to be naked under one of those gowns. whew that was quite the run on sentence. Its really quite uneventful. EEG is kind of fun because they stick all these little electrodes on your head and that takes forever but Im sure it looks super science fictiony when its all said and done and then you just follow direction. Again, painless and uneventful.

8. Oct 21, 2008 #7
    It might be painless and uneventful, but can you imagine how depressed wolram will be to see those needles drawing nice straight parallel lines down the paper, with barely a wiggle. His EEG is going to look like those seismographs we left on the moon.

9. Oct 21, 2008 #8
    :surprised
    luckily they dont let you see the results

10. Oct 21, 2008 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A couple years ago, I had symptoms of multiple sclerosis. It was really scary - that's a terrible disease!

But I checked out OK, and the symptoms eventually went away by themselves. I sure did have to go through a bunch of tests, though...!

11. Oct 21, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

How long do you have to stay in the MRI machine?

12. Oct 21, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

True, when i got electrocuted and did not die they said ,where there is no sense there is no feeling.

13. Oct 21, 2008 #12
    they have open MRI machines now too.
    Don't you think its going to be cool? they are going to use light to knock you out. How cool is that. I'd like to see how they can do that. The closest I've ever come to anything like that was when a flashlight rolled off a shelf and gave me a concussion.

14. Oct 21, 2008 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The longest test I had was over an hour.

First they did a whole series of scans - they can take as long as 5 minutes each. Then they pulled me out, gave me an injection of a contrast agent (I think it was gadolinium), and did the whole thing over again!

15. Oct 21, 2008 #14

wolram

Gold Member

Cor blimey, i bet you were happy, thats enough to scare the pants off any one.

16. Oct 21, 2008 #15
    gadolinium? you made that up.

17. Oct 21, 2008 #16

turbo

Gold Member

I've had a number of MRIs, Woolie, in a pretty small old truck mounted machine. It's no biggie - just listen to all the weird noises, pings, clanging, and stuff, and try to make mental music with it. I hate techno, so my "music" was pretty strained.

18. Oct 21, 2008 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I got the news I didn't have MS I walked on air for....well I still am, after all these years :smile: !

19. Oct 21, 2008 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nuh-uh! :tongue2:

20. Oct 21, 2008 #19

turbo

Gold Member

Oh, yeah? They shot me up with dilithium salts. I can still achieve warp speeds from time to time.

21. Oct 22, 2008 #20

wolram

Gold Member

I passed all the tests, then disgaced myself by having an episode afterwards, i feel like these guys are wanting to pin some thing on me, even if they cause it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?