1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The centroid of a hemispherical surface

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    I have to find the centroid of a hemispherical surface with radius r.
    I want to use Pappus's theorem.S=2*Pi*x*s
    The surface S, is 2*Pi*r^2 and the length of the curve s, is Pi*r so the distance from the centroid ,which lies on the y axis by symmetry, to the x axis is S/(2*Pi*Pi*r) = r/Pi

This is not the answer by text book gives for the y coordinate of the centroid. What am I doing wrong? Please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

x is the centroid of the generating surface which is a semicircle. And the centroid of a semicircle (a 2D object) is different to that of a hemispherical surface (a 3D object). I'm afraid you can't use Pappus.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  4. Nov 17, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Try this instead - http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Hemisphere.html

I believe the hemispherical is a semi-circle rotated by pi, or a quarter circle rotated by 2pi about an axis corresponding to a radius and corresponding to either end of the arc.

5. Nov 18, 2005 #4
    I understand I can't use Pappus's theorem.
    So I try to cut the hemispherical shell into horizontal shells up the y axis. Each shell should have the surface 2*Pi*R where R=sqrt(r^2-y^2)
    So dS = 2*Pi*R dy
    But there is something wrong here, When I integrate from 0 to r I don't get the right answer for the surface of the hemispherical surface.
    Could you help me some more, please.

6. Nov 18, 2005 #5
    I got it right. I had to calculate the width of the shell.And then integrate.

7. Feb 15, 2011 #6
    How can I calculate the centroid of the hemisphere surface using only simple integrals and rectangular coordinates?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?