Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Cleaner

1. Aug 9, 2005 #1
    While washing my bathroom sink, I read that the main ingredient of the cleaner I used was none other than
    "sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate"

Is the structure of this compound simply:
    -1,3,5 triazinetrione with two hydrogens replaced with chlorine,
    and the third hydrogen replaced with sodium??

Drawing the structure, I notice no "R/S" stereochemistry. But the name
    of the substance has a lowercase "s" in it! What does this mean?
    What is the structure of this excellent cleaning agent??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2005 #2
    Hmm...It's been three days!
    Anyone there?

What is the structure of sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate ?
    Can you guys describe it?

4. Aug 11, 2005 #3
    what you are talking about is the main ingredient in pool tablets, aka TriChlor.

the formula is [tex]NaCl_2C_3N_3O_3[/tex]

try google and you'll find out all you ever wanted to know and more.

5. Aug 12, 2005 #4
    Ahh--just what I needed to know!

So then I suppose the structure is a central hexagonal ring of C-N-C-N-C-N , with an oxygen double-bonded to each carbon, two chlorines single-bonded to two nitrogens,
    and the remaining ring nitrogen is bonded to the sodium.

Am I correct?

6. Aug 12, 2005 #5
    actually, i would guess that the Na is an ionic counter-ion, the same way that it is in NaOCl aka swimming pool "shock"

the cyanuric change from hypochlorite is what makes the tablets more resistant to UV light degradation, i.e. more stable (this also decreases it's protein-combining ability however). if you want the detailed structure, there are numerous sources where you can look it up (Merck index, chemfinder, MSDS sheets, etc.), i don't recall the structure off-hand.

7. Aug 13, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hopefully this will work...I'm going to try link you to the Google search with one result that's a PDF file with the structure included within that document. I don't know any way to directly link you to the PDF since it downloads as soon as I click on it.

http://www.google.com/search?client...drate"+"chemical+structure"&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

If that doesn't work, do the Google search with: "sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate" "chemical structure" Include the quotes. Only one result comes up doing it that way.

8. Aug 18, 2005 #7

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nice link Moonbear, to publish a pdf link, right-click on hypertext, select 'copy link location' (or similar wording depending on browser), paste it into your message. A little cleaner format, I give here:
    sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione

Last edited: Aug 18, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?