Uncovering the Chemistry of a Cleaning Agent

In summary, the main ingredient of the cleaner used in the conversation is sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate, which has a chemical structure of a central hexagonal ring with oxygen double-bonded to each carbon, two chlorines single-bonded to two nitrogens, and the remaining ring nitrogen bonded to sodium. This substance is commonly found in pool tablets and is resistant to UV light degradation. Detailed structures can be found in sources such as the Merck index or MSDS sheets. A link to a PDF file with the chemical structure is provided in the conversation.
bomba923
While washing my bathroom sink, I read that the main ingredient of the cleaner I used was none other than
"sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate"

Is the structure of this compound simply:
-1,3,5 triazinetrione with two hydrogens replaced with chlorine,
and the third hydrogen replaced with sodium??

Drawing the structure, I notice no "R/S" stereochemistry. But the name
of the substance has a lowercase "s" in it! What does this mean?
What is the structure of this excellent cleaning agent??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hmm...It's been three days!
Anyone there?

What is the structure of sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate ?
Can you guys describe it?

what you are talking about is the main ingredient in pool tablets, aka TriChlor.

the formula is [tex]NaCl_2C_3N_3O_3[/tex]

try google and you'll find out all you ever wanted to know and more.

Ahh--just what I needed to know!

So then I suppose the structure is a central hexagonal ring of C-N-C-N-C-N , with an oxygen double-bonded to each carbon, two chlorines single-bonded to two nitrogens,
and the remaining ring nitrogen is bonded to the sodium.

Am I correct?

actually, i would guess that the Na is an ionic counter-ion, the same way that it is in NaOCl aka swimming pool "shock"

the cyanuric change from hypochlorite is what makes the tablets more resistant to UV light degradation, i.e. more stable (this also decreases it's protein-combining ability however). if you want the detailed structure, there are numerous sources where you can look it up (Merck index, chemfinder, MSDS sheets, etc.), i don't recall the structure off-hand.

Hopefully this will work...I'm going to try link you to the Google search with one result that's a PDF file with the structure included within that document. I don't know any way to directly link you to the PDF since it downloads as soon as I click on it.

http://www.google.com/search?client...drate"+"chemical+structure"&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

If that doesn't work, do the Google search with: "sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate" "chemical structure" Include the quotes. Only one result comes up doing it that way.

Moonbear said:
Hopefully this will work...I'm going to try link you to the Google search with one result that's a PDF file with the structure included within that document. I don't know any way to directly link you to the PDF since it downloads as soon as I click on it.

sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate

Nice link Moonbear, to publish a pdf link, right-click on hypertext, select 'copy link location' (or similar wording depending on browser), paste it into your message. A little cleaner format, I give here:
http://www.epa.gov/chemrtk/sdditriz/c14660tl.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Uncovering the Chemistry of a Cleaning Agent

What is the purpose of uncovering the chemistry of a cleaning agent?

The purpose of uncovering the chemistry of a cleaning agent is to gain a better understanding of how the agent works and what makes it effective in removing dirt, stains, and other substances from various surfaces. This knowledge can help improve the formulation of cleaning products and make them more efficient.

What are the main components of a cleaning agent?

The main components of a cleaning agent are surfactants, builders, solvents, and additives. Surfactants reduce the surface tension between the cleaning solution and the surface to be cleaned, allowing the solution to penetrate and lift dirt. Builders help to soften water and prevent the redeposition of dirt. Solvents dissolve and remove oily or greasy substances. Additives provide additional properties such as fragrance or antibacterial action.

How do surfactants work in a cleaning agent?

Surfactants work by having one end of their molecule attracted to water (hydrophilic) and the other end attracted to dirt and oils (hydrophobic). This allows them to surround and break down dirt particles, making them easier to remove from surfaces. Additionally, surfactants can help emulsify oils and greasy substances, allowing them to be washed away with water.

What is the role of builders in a cleaning agent?

The role of builders in a cleaning agent is to soften water and prevent the redeposition of dirt. Hard water, which contains high levels of minerals, can make cleaning less effective because the minerals can react with the cleaning agents and form insoluble compounds. Builders, such as sodium tripolyphosphate, can bind to these minerals and prevent them from interfering with the cleaning process.

Why are solvents used in cleaning agents?

Solvents are used in cleaning agents because they are effective at dissolving and removing substances that are not water-soluble, such as oils, grease, and waxes. This makes them particularly useful in cleaning tasks where water alone is not enough to remove tough stains or residues. Additionally, some solvents can evaporate quickly, leaving surfaces clean and dry without the need for rinsing.