No Work Done on a Textbook: Explanation of Concept

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work and its relation to displacement. It is explained that no work is done on a textbook when it is moved horizontally at a constant velocity. This is because work is dependent on displacement and the angle between the force and displacement vectors. The formula for work is W = FΔs cos θ, where θ represents the angle between the force and displacement vectors. When the vectors are perpendicular, no work is done, but when they are parallel, work is performed.
Hockey101
1. Hey everyone! I am currently studying for my final exam and I am trying to review work to start out. When I was reading, it gave me an example of where a person is holding a textbook and the person moves the textbook in the horizontal direction. Under the picture they gave an explanation which says: No work is done on a textbook when carried in the horizontal direction at a constant velocity.

2. None

3. Considering Work depends on displacement, I just thought that if you move a textbook up or down and that is displacement, then why can't there be displacement if you move the textbook (or anything) horizontally?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the definition of "work"? I mean, do you know how to calculate it? What do you get if you use that formula to calculate the work performed moving a book horizontally?

From the site that I am reading from...Work is the "force-displacement product". The formula shows to be: W = FΔs cos θ

Ok...so is it because since there is a vertical force and the displacement is horizontal, then that's why work is not being done? So with that in mind, if there was a horizontal force and a horizontal displacement, then there would be work being done on the textbook?

Right. The ##\theta## in that formula is the angle between the force vector and the displacement vector. So when the force and the displacement are perpendicular, we have ##\cos\theta=\cos\frac\pi 2=0##. When they are parallel, we have ##\cos\theta=\cos 0=1##.

Likes 1 person
Thank you so much!

FAQ: No Work Done on a Textbook: Explanation of Concept

What does "No Work Done on a Textbook" mean?

"No Work Done on a Textbook" is a term used in science to describe a situation where no external forces are acting on a textbook, thus no work is being done on it. In other words, the textbook is not experiencing any changes in its position or state of motion.

Why is it important to understand the concept of "No Work Done on a Textbook"?

Understanding the concept of "No Work Done on a Textbook" is important because it helps us to understand the relationship between forces and work. In physics, work is defined as the product of the force applied to an object and the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. If there is no external force acting on an object, then no work is being done on that object.

Can work be done on a textbook?

Yes, work can be done on a textbook. Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. If there is an external force acting on a textbook and it causes the textbook to move, then work is being done on the textbook.

What is the difference between "No Work Done on a Textbook" and "Zero Work Done on a Textbook"?

The terms "No Work Done on a Textbook" and "Zero Work Done on a Textbook" may seem similar, but they have different meanings. "No Work Done on a Textbook" implies that there are no external forces acting on the textbook, while "Zero Work Done on a Textbook" means that there are external forces acting on the textbook, but the work done on it is zero because the force and the displacement are perpendicular to each other.

Can work be done on a textbook even if it is not moving?

Yes, work can still be done on a textbook even if it is not moving. This is because work is defined as the product of the force applied to an object and the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. If a force is applied to a textbook, but it does not move, then the distance it moves is zero, resulting in zero work done on the textbook.

Back