1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Concept of Work

1. May 30, 2014 #1
    1. Hey everyone! I am currently studying for my final exam and I am trying to review work to start out. When I was reading, it gave me an example of where a person is holding a text book and the person moves the textbook in the horizontal direction. Under the picture they gave an explanation which says: No work is done on a textbook when carried in the horizontal direction at a constant velocity.

2. None

3. Considering Work depends on displacement, I just thought that if you move a textbook up or down and that is displacement, then why can't there be displacement if you move the textbook (or anything) horizontally?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you know the definition of "work"? I mean, do you know how to calculate it? What do you get if you use that formula to calculate the work performed moving a book horizontally?

4. May 30, 2014 #3
    From the site that I am reading from....Work is the "force-displacement product". The formula shows to be: W = FΔs cos θ

5. May 30, 2014 #4
    Ok...so is it because since there is a vertical force and the displacement is horizontal, then that's why work is not being done? So with that in mind, if there was a horizontal force and a horizontal displacement, then there would be work being done on the textbook?

6. May 30, 2014 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right. The ##\theta## in that formula is the angle between the force vector and the displacement vector. So when the force and the displacement are perpendicular, we have ##\cos\theta=\cos\frac\pi 2=0##. When they are parallel, we have ##\cos\theta=\cos 0=1##.

7. May 31, 2014 #6
    Thank you so much!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted