The cost to transmit the energy to the city each hour is $534.944.

• Thread starter AdnamaLeigh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the energy plant produces an output potential of 4100 kV to serve a city 121 km away. A high-voltage transmission line carries 1530 A to the city, with an effective resistance of 2.05 Ω/km. The potential provided to the city is 3720.484 kV and the power dissipated due to resistive losses in the transmission line is 5.8 x 10^8 W. At a rate of $0.093/kW x hr, the cost to transmit the energy to the city is $5.4 per hour.
AdnamaLeigh
A) An energy plant produces an output potential of 4100 kV and serves a city 121 km away. A high-voltage transmission line carries 1530 A to the city. The effective resistance of a transmission line [wire(s)] is 2.05 Ω/km times the distance from the plant to the city. What is the potential provided to the city, i.e., at the end of the transmission line?

Answer: 3720.484 kV

B) How much power is dissipated due to resistive losses in the transmission line?

Answer: 5.8 x 10^8 W

C) Assume the plant charges $0.093 / kW x hr for electric energy. At this rate, how much does it cost to transmit the energy to the city (by the transmission line heating the atmosphere) each hour? Answer in units of dollars/hr.

This is the one I'm stuck on. I thought that I was supposed to mutliply 5.8 x 10^5 kW with $.093 but then I get $54001 per hour and that just does not seem reasonable.

Physics news on Phys.org
This:
AdnamaLeigh said:
Answer: 5.8 x 10^8 W
And this:
AdnamaLeigh said:
Answer: 5.8 x 10^8 kW
Are not the same. If your original number is correct, you are a factor of [itex]10^{-3}[/itex] out, which would make your answer $54.001

-Hoot:smile:

I don't quite understand what you mean. I know that those two numbers are not the same. When I changed it to kW, I subtracted 3 powers from the exponent.

Either way, $54.001 isn't the answer, I checked and it failed.

Related to The cost to transmit the energy to the city each hour is $534.944.

1. What does the cost of transmitting energy to the city each hour mean?

The cost to transmit energy to the city each hour refers to the amount of money it takes to transport energy from its source to the city's power grid. This cost includes factors such as production, distribution, and maintenance.

2. How is the cost of transmitting energy to the city each hour calculated?

The cost of transmitting energy to the city each hour is calculated by taking into account various expenses such as fuel costs, labor costs, equipment costs, and any additional fees or taxes. These factors are then divided by the amount of energy transmitted to determine the cost per hour.

3. Why does the cost of transmitting energy to the city each hour vary?

The cost of transmitting energy to the city each hour can vary due to a number of factors, such as fluctuations in fuel prices, changes in demand for energy, and any maintenance or repair costs. Additionally, the distance between the energy source and the city can also impact the cost.

4. How does the cost of transmitting energy to the city each hour affect consumers?

The cost of transmitting energy to the city each hour can have an impact on consumers as it can affect the overall cost of energy. If the cost of transmission increases, it may result in higher energy bills for consumers. However, the cost of transmission is just one factor in determining the overall cost of energy for consumers.

5. How can the cost of transmitting energy to the city each hour be reduced?

The cost of transmitting energy to the city each hour can potentially be reduced through various methods, such as investing in more efficient technologies, utilizing renewable energy sources, and improving infrastructure. Additionally, implementing energy conservation measures can also help to reduce the overall demand for energy and thus lower the cost of transmission.