Solving Derivatives: Separating dy & dx

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of dx and d(any variable) as infinitesimal changes in variables, and whether dy can be separated from dx. It also explains the chain rule of differentiation and how it relates to integrating differential equations. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding concepts rather than just memorizing formulas.
Fritz
Does dx or d(any variable) mean an infitesimally change in x (or another variable)?

If you have dy/dx, can you separate dy from dx? How do you do this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
As fare as I understand it is dy and dx the change on the tangent line. But that you may already know. And, yes, they're infintesimals.

dx is independent and thus dx = [itex]\Delta x[/itex], but dy != [itex]\Delta y[/itex].
[tex]dy = f'(x)dx[/tex] or [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=f'(x)[/tex]

d(x) is an alternativ notation for f'(x), i think.

Last edited:
I'll choose to answer this in this thread; I see you have a similar thread elsewhere:
Basically, the reason why we occasionally may treat dy/dx analogously to a fraction, in particular, splitting it, is THE CHAIN RULE OF DIFFERENTIATION!
Suppose you have a differential equation on the form:
[tex]f(y(x))\frac{dy}{dx}=g(x)[/tex]
Note the explicit dependendce of x in the composite function f!
Assume there exist a function F, so that its derivative with respect to its sole variable is the function f.
Hence, we may rewrite the lefthand-side in the upper equation, USING THE CHAIN RULE:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}F(y(x))=g(x)[/tex]
Now, let's integrate this equation WITH RESPECT TO x!
By the fundamental theorem of calculus, we gain:
[tex]F(y(x_{1}))-F(y(x_{0}))=\int_{x_{0}}^{x_{1}}g(x)dx (1)[/tex]
Let us now consider the smart trick:
[tex]y_{1}=y(x_{1}),y_{0}=y(x_{0})[/tex]
(1) may therefore be written as:
[tex]\int_{y_{0}}^{y_{1}}f(y)dy=\int_{x_{0}}^{x_{1}}g(x)dx (2)[/tex]
since the left-hand side equals, by fund. theorem of calculus:
[tex]\int_{y_{0}}^{y_{1}}f(y)dy=F(y_{1})-F(y_{0})[/tex]

But (2) is the way you've been taught to integrate your original differential equation.

Is y(x) the 'sole variable' of F?

What happened to [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] in [tex]\frac{d}{dx}F(y(x))=g(x)[/tex]?

By the chain rule:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}F(y(x))=F'(y(x))\frac{dy}{dx}=f(y(x))\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
since F'=f

I think I understand now. It's just hard to get my head around (I guess I'm a little stupid).

Inexperience is often mistaken for stupidity..:wink:

Besides, if someone has been taught formulaic maths, rather than the logic and reasons behind formulae, they will often encounter problems generated more by the dubious techniques they've been exposed to, rather than by personal stupidity..:smile:

Would the best way to ensure that I understand everything be to do as many questions as I possibly can?

Fritz said:
Would the best way to ensure that I understand everything be to do as many questions as I possibly can?
Mmm..exercises are certainly important, indeed crucial, in developing a mathematical skill with your "hand". (That is, getting used to it, building up problem-solving routines and so on).

However, you should from time to time stop and ask yourself:
"Do I understand this? Why must it be so?"
Such sessions, when successfully resolved, while not productive in the sense of numbers of exercises solved, are however, in the long run, the most satisfying experiences in your education.

That does makes sense.

What is the purpose of separating dy and dx in derivatives?

Separating dy and dx allows us to describe the rate of change of a function with respect to a specific variable, and also enables us to find the slope of a tangent line at a given point on a curve.

How do you separate dy and dx in a derivative?

To separate dy and dx, we use the chain rule. We can rewrite the derivative as a fraction, with dx in the denominator and dy in the numerator. Then, we can multiply both sides by dx to isolate dy.

Why is it important to understand how to separate dy and dx in derivatives?

Understanding how to separate dy and dx in derivatives is crucial for solving more complex derivatives and for applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It also allows us to better understand the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

What are some tips for successfully separating dy and dx in derivatives?

It is important to carefully apply the chain rule and to remember that dy and dx are not actual variables, but rather notation used to describe the relationship between a function and its variable. It can also be helpful to practice with a variety of functions to become more comfortable with the process.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when separating dy and dx in derivatives?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to apply the chain rule, not isolating dy by multiplying both sides by dx, and confusing dy and dx with actual variables. It is also important to properly label the final answer as dy/dx to indicate the derivative with respect to the given variable.