What Do You Think About a New Date System?

• Thread starter megashawn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the calendar based on a christian timeframe does not have a basis in reality and should be changed.
megashawn
Science Advisor
It seems that we are using a calendar based on a christian timeframe. Does this date that we go by have any meaning to us other then it was 2003 years ago when jesus died?

Well, I don't think it does. It doesn't seem right that we should go by a date based on a religion with no basis in reality.

I've been doing it for some time, almost naturally, writing my dates like 7/7/3 instead of 03 or 2003. I was thinking about it the other day, I propose its time for another change in dates.

We've got BC, which means "before christ" I had always understood. So, 4000 bc is 4000 years before the christian era. AD means an·no Dom·i·ni (from www.dictionary.com ) and basically means any year during the christian era.

I propose, unless the christian god has something to say about it, the christian era is over, and we should move for a new letter designation by the date. Something such as ne or na for "New Era" or "New Age". Something neutral. Something, so that everytime we have to write the date down, we're not forced to realize we live in a world dominated by closed minds.

Ooh, got an even better one. Since technology is so dominate now, let's call it "bot" "Begining of Technology"

7/7/3 bot

and not that the letters are all that important, we could just drop them all together. Plus, starting are year count over at 0, in the year 2000, makes writing the date easier for some hundred years.

Physics news on Phys.org
There already is an alternative dating system used particularly in historical and scholarly litature, I believe it was specificly developed in order to be sensitive to the fact that not all scholars are christian. The other dating system uses The abbreviation "C.E." as a standard way of denoting dates in scholarly literature. C. E. means "Common Era" and B.C.E. denotes "Before the Common Era." The year 1 C.E. is the same as the year 1 A.D.

The abbreviations AD and BC do profess the Christian faith: Anno Domini, meaning "in the year of Our Lord", BC states that Jesus is the Christ. Scholars are aware of this, so a neutral way of denoting the year was devised.

Just like AD, the CE system counts the birth of Jesus as year 1.

BUT in actuality we do not know what year Jesus was born. The Gospels suggest he was born near the end of the reign of Herod the Great. The AD system therefor takes the last year of Herod's rule as the birth year of Jesus. Because of a counting error, this year turns out to be, in our modern calendar 4 BC, not 1 AD.

SO in reality our calendar does not count from the first year of Jesus, but from the last year of Herod the little known joke is that the entire AD/BC system is actually based on the reign of a pro-roman, non-jewish king who ruled over the jews.

*edited for clarity, I hope it's clear engough now!*

Last edited:
Originally posted by kat
SO in reality our calendar does not count from the first year of Jesus, but from the last year of Herod the little known joke is that the entire AD/BC system is actually based on the reign of a Jewish ruler
Would that be Herod? Or would that be Jesus? Sorry! ... Actually the rest of your post makes a lot of sense. :wink:

Cool, glad someone is on top of this.

I still think we should restart the calendar at 0 in 2000 though. Make life easier on us lazy ppl.

1. What is a new date system?

A new date system refers to a proposed change in the way dates are currently recorded and measured. This could include changes in the calendar, the way dates are formatted, or the way time is measured.

2. Why do we need a new date system?

There are a few reasons why some people may suggest a new date system. These could include wanting a more accurate or efficient way to measure time, aligning with cultural or religious beliefs, or simply wanting a change from the current system.

3. How would a new date system affect our daily lives?

A new date system would likely have a significant impact on our daily lives, as dates and time are integral parts of our routines and schedules. It could require adjustments to calendars, scheduling software, and other systems that rely on the current date system.

4. What are some potential challenges or drawbacks of implementing a new date system?

One of the main challenges of implementing a new date system would be the cost and effort required to make the switch. It could also cause confusion and inconvenience as people adjust to the new system. Another potential drawback is the loss of historical and cultural significance associated with the current date system.

5. What are some examples of proposed new date systems?

There have been many proposed new date systems over the years, but some examples include the Holocene calendar, which counts years since the beginning of the current geological epoch, and the International Fixed Calendar, which divides the year into 13 equal months of 28 days each.