Understanding the Ohm: Definition, Explanation, and Examples

In summary, the ohm is a resistance between two points of a conductor when a constant potential difference of 1 volt, applied to these points, produces in the conductor a current of 1 ampere.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
The ohm is defined as a resistance between two points of a conductor when a constant potential difference of 1 volt, applied to these points, produces in the conductor a current of 1 ampere, the conductor not being the seat of any electromotive force.

I'm not sure I understand this definition, it's written in a rather confusing manner...instead of saying how much ampere is being stopped from flowing, it tells us how much current is being produced!

That's a little confusing...I thought the definition for the resistance SI unit would be how much of the current is prevented...as in a negative number, maybe.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, a volt is a POTENTIAL energy. Like say there is a rock on top of a cliff. It has a potential energy, if it were pushed off the edge the potential energy would be converted into kinetic energy.

So, the volt is like a store of charge at one side of a material that wants to go to the side with less charge. (i.e. the rock falling off the cliff to get to a lower energy). If the material slows the charge to move at 1 amp = (1couloumb/sec). The materials resistance will be 1 ohm.

So if the material slowed the charges trying to get to the other side to .1 amps. The materials resistance would be higher... ( 1/.1 = 10 ohms).

So let me see if I get it right:

1 ohm is 1 amp being stopped per volt, whereas 2 ohm is 2 amp being stopped per volt?...etc etc

not being stopped. being allowed through the material. if 1 amp is being allowed through with a 1 volt potential difference. the resistance is 1 ohm. if 2 amps are being allowed through with a potential difference of 1 volt. The resistance is 1volt/2amps. = 1/2 ohm.

The units for OHM = VOLT/AMP

Ah, makes complete sense...so the lower the ohm the lower the resistance right? right. I see now :) thanks.

If you are interested in the http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/ohmmic.html" ,

micohm.gif

check this out.

Attachments

• micohm.gif
    micohm.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 421
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that explains the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied to it, and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

2. How is Ohm's Law represented mathematically?

The mathematical representation of Ohm's Law is V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. This means that if the voltage is increased, the current will also increase as long as the resistance remains constant.

3. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is the ohm, which is represented by the Greek letter omega (Ω). It is named after the German physicist Georg Ohm, who first discovered the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance.

4. Can you provide an example of Ohm's Law in action?

Yes, let's say we have a circuit with a voltage of 12 volts and a resistance of 4 ohms. Using Ohm's Law, we can calculate the current in the circuit by dividing the voltage by the resistance (12V/4Ω = 3A). This means that the current in the circuit will be 3 amps.

5. How is Ohm's Law useful in real-life applications?

Ohm's Law is essential in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, as it helps engineers and scientists understand how voltage, current, and resistance are related. It is also used in troubleshooting and diagnosing electrical problems, as well as in the development of new technologies such as electronics and electric vehicles.