The difference between a B.S. in physics and B.A. in physics

In summary, when deciding between a B.S. and B.A. degree in physics, it is important to compare the requirements for the two degrees at the specific universities. Some schools may require more physics courses for a B.S. degree, while others may differ only in general education requirements. However, it is generally believed that a B.S. degree is more beneficial for those planning to attend graduate school, as it may offer more advanced courses and opportunities for independent research. It is worth noting that some employers may prefer a B.S. degree over a B.A. for certain positions.
kaos86
What is the difference of having a B.S. degree in physics and a B.A. degree in physics?
I need to decide soon when I transfer to a university up north in the spring term 2011.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're transferring to a university that offers both a B.A. and B.S. in physics, look up the requirements for the two degrees on their Web site.

If you're trying to decide between two universities and one of them offers only a B.A. and the other offers only a B.S., don't worry about it (the name of the degree, that is). Compare the courses required for a physics major at both schools.

At some schools that offer both degrees, the B.S. may require more physics courses. At others, the difference may be only in the general-education requirements. It varies. There's no standard for this.

At my school, the BS degree required more physics classes. With the BA, you could choose to skip classes like quantum or stat mech (but not both) and other advanced physics classes, but you had to take more liberal arts, including a foreign language. You could also choose to skip the experimental physics project, and do your own independent research. So while the name of the degree isn't so important, the BS was definitely better for people going to grad school.

On a random sidenote, when I was applying for jobs (before I decided on grad school), I saw a couple of employers who said they specifically wanted a BS and not a BA. Maybe the name on the degree does matter after all..

What is the difference between a B.S. in physics and B.A. in physics?

A B.S. in physics, or Bachelor of Science in physics, is a more mathematically rigorous degree that focuses on the fundamentals of physics and prepares students for graduate studies or research positions. On the other hand, a B.A. in physics, or Bachelor of Arts in physics, is a broader degree that allows students to explore other areas of study alongside physics, such as humanities or social sciences.

Which degree is better for pursuing a career in physics?

Both degrees can lead to successful careers in physics, but a B.S. in physics may be more advantageous for those interested in research or pursuing a graduate degree. A B.A. in physics may be more beneficial for those interested in interdisciplinary fields or careers outside of traditional physics.

Do the course requirements differ between a B.S. and B.A. in physics?

Yes, the course requirements differ between the two degrees. A B.S. in physics typically includes more advanced math and science courses, such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. A B.A. in physics often requires fewer math and science courses and allows for more electives in other areas of study.

Are job opportunities different for B.S. and B.A. in physics graduates?

The job opportunities may differ slightly for B.S. and B.A. in physics graduates. B.S. graduates may have more opportunities in research and academia, while B.A. graduates may have more diverse job options due to their interdisciplinary skillset. However, both degrees can lead to careers in a wide range of industries, including engineering, finance, and technology.

Can I switch from a B.S. to a B.A. in physics or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to switch between a B.S. and B.A. in physics, but it may require additional coursework and time. It is important to consult with an academic advisor before making any changes to your degree program.